Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remove the seeds?

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 23:37

I just started seriously composting this year with a new 3-bin system I built myself.

When composting pumpkins, should the seeds be removed completely to prevent volunteer plants when the mulch is eventually used?

Also, it is better to chop the pumpkin up into smaller chunks like watermelon slice sizes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remove the seeds?

Sometimes the healthiest and most robust plants come from the compost pile, just waiting to be planted in the garden. Plus its a surprise!

o

I would recommend removing the seeds to the extent possible to prevent them from spontaneously sprouting and taking over. If you want to grow the seeds, collect them and plant them under controlled conditions so you get the quantity you want in the location you want.

It is better to chop up the pumpkins into smaller pieces if you want to speed up decomposition in the pile. The more surface area you have, the faster mother nature works. This doesn't need to be a lot of work. I throw the pumpkins into the pile and then I use the hoe to chop them down into smaller pieces. Takes less than a minute to get the desired results.

o

never let a seed go to waste - give them away - plant them out or throw them down the bank - seeds produce food - if not for you - then for someone or something else, Just food for thought !!! Cheers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here