Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowabunga1

What is this... thing?

cowabunga1
18 years ago

Hello,

I saw this squash at the supermarket at the bottom of the bin. It was the only one like it there so I had to take him home. :) There was no sign or sticker that told me what variety it is. I've looked online but can't find the answer. Anyone know what this is? Thanks

~Sam

Comments (16)

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Looks like some type of ornamental gourd.I have seen one that looks like that but can't rmemember the name.I'll keep looking......Lillie

• Tomato_Worm59
    18 years ago

Whatever it is, would you share some of the seeds for postage?

• kms4me
    18 years ago

Wow.. that is intriguing and CREEPY at the same time... I probably would have brought it home too.

Kate

• ssowieja
    18 years ago

It looks like a warty gourd but I'm not sure if it's a hard shell or an ornamental. It looks big so it might be hardshell.
    I don't know if these pictures will help or not but click on the links and have a look.
    Sue
    http://americangourdsociety.org/FAQ.html

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the replies. sswieja, thanks for the link - I think it might be a warted ornamental too but mine is much larger (about 12" across). Anyway, the thing has rotted and made a big mess on our carpet - peeww! :) Was only able to save a few seeds for myself (sorry tomatoe_worm59 maybe next year?) Still, I'd like to know what it is. It would've made a nice ugly jack-o-lantern for halloween. I'm joining a gourd group on yahoo in hopes of someone there knowing the answer. I'll keep you all posted.

~Sam

• susansphn
    18 years ago

LOOKS LIKE A HARD SHELL WARTY WAS SOMEHOW INVOLVED IN ORIGIN OF THAT PUPPY! BUT BECAUSE GOURDS WILL CROSS POLLINATE WITH OTHER SQUASH VARIETIES.. THAT MAY BE A HECK OF A HYBRID!! SUSAN IN SO CAL.... PRES. ORANGE CO GOURD SOCIETY

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! Thanks susansphn! That is probably what it is - a hybrid. I found a picture of a hard shell warty

You think there is any chance that the seeds will produce a similar gourd? I am planning on growing pumpkins too this year. How far apart do the plants need to be so that they don't cross? thanks.

~Sam

• sowngrow (8a)
    18 years ago

It's hard to say if the seeds will produce a similiar gourd. It depends on whether other varieties were grown in the vicinity of that one. It's different. Would you really like to reproduce something that looks like that?
    ;-)

• weirdtrev
    18 years ago

Since no one has throw out any names I will. Based on the size and shape of the stem I would say it is a cucurbita maxima pumpkin. Specifically a Galuese d'Eysines also known as Courge Brodee Galeuse, Galeux d'Eysines, Giraumon Galeux d'Eysines, and Warted Sugar Marrow. Even if that isn't in fact what it is and it is just a mutant the pumpkin I have listed has all the characteristics that you all find so interesting. I don't know how to post pictures on here but just search for images on google.

• loislips
    18 years ago

I just recieved a sed catalog from Seed Savers Exchange & there is a picture of this warty thing. It is called Bule, (Boo-lay) unique hard shelled FRENCH GOUR FOR DRYING

I just recieved a seed catalog from Seed Savers Exchange, & this warty thing is shown in it. It is called Bule (Boo-lay)
    A unique hard-shelled French gourd for drying.similar oin shape to alarge apple gourd. entire gourd is covered with small warts or tooth-like bumps. Vigorous vines ! Address for catalog is 3094 North Winn Road, Decorah, Ia 52101 Seeds are 25 for $2.50 . I hope this helps for those who want seeds. Lois

• elder
    18 years ago

Scroll down to, and click on, the thread titled Large Gourd Id. Click on the follow-up message by mogardening of Fri Dec 2, 05, then click on Japan Gourd Chart, and take a look at a gourd named Ibo.
    Another possibility - could this be nothing more than a badly diseased pumpkin (which would explain why it went rotten instead of hard)?.....Elder

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure, weirdtrev, that your suggestions are correct. I found this link here (wish I spoke french) Could this thing possibly be edible? not that I'd try until I knew 100%. :) You all have been very helpful.

~Sam

• lejardinier37
    18 years ago

Hello,

I'm french with a bad english language.
    This thing is Cucurbita maxima 'Galeux d'Eysines, she is very very good to eat.
    This year i have some who are very warty, and other who are just a little warty. On the same plant, it is strange.

She can't dry

• passiflora2762
    18 years ago

you can acheive this same effect on a pumpkin that is grown in severe drought conditions, there is a variety of warted squash's, but I'll bet this was water stsrved while growing.

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've planted the seeds this spring and made a followup post here. :)

• lelia_gardener
    17 years ago

I planted 7 Galeux d'Eysines (squash seeds last May & now have about 25 huge beautiful squash on my vines which travel extensively. They weigh in at an average of 12 pounds, are wonderful eating, delicate, like the French & fulfilling to the belly & soul. I have lots of seeds.
    lightascolor@frontier.net