Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
groall

warsaw buff pie pumpkin seeds

groall
14 years ago

Looking to add a few additional winter squash to my garden..,retired with to much time on my hands...came across the Warsaw and now I'm trying to locate some seeds...can anyone point me in the right direction....

Comments (11)

• gardengal11
    14 years ago

You may have better luck finding the seeds you want in the "seed exchange" section and see if you can trade seeds with anyone or offer a SABSE.

Good Luck!

• Macmex
    14 years ago

I have some. Drop me an e-mail.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• Macmex
    11 years ago

I received an e-mail, via Gardenweb, from someone who wanted to obtain a couple seeds of this squash. Unfortunately, I lost the e-mail. So, if you sent me a message through Gardenweb, please send it again!

George

• josephlee
    9 years ago

Hello I know this is a old post but is there anybody that has Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkin seeds they would trade for stamps.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Joseph,

I still maintain it. I'll e-mail you my address.

George

• juliaarugula
    3 years ago

Macmex, I was wondering if you are still maintaining this strain and would Still be willing to share a few seeds? Thanks!

• Macmex
    3 years ago

I wish I still had them. I still have several containers with old seed, but for three or four years, now, I have been trying to get even a single seed to germinate, with no luck. I even got a packet of seed from the Seed Savers Exchange, but it was heavily crossed, it appeared with Tromboncino.

We had some years of crop failure and, at the same time another hardier pumpkin was given to me, one which handles our hot, buggy summers better: Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin

I continue to put out feelers, in search of some pure, viable seed. Over the years i certainly shared plenty of it with others.

• juliaarugula
    3 years ago

Thanks! That’s really too bad. I’m in northern Indiana and it seemed like it would be a great pumpkin to try. I’ve been thinking that I’d try OTCP instead next year if I can’t find the Warsaw seeds... (it seems that OTCP seeds are more readily available).

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    3 years ago

Macmex, so this variety is C. moschata? Could I have a try at recovering it from your old seed? I've had good results getting old seed to germinate, I built a lighted, thermostatically-controlled germination chamber for that purpose. The Tromboncino I'm growing this year is from 11 year old seed (and should be a successful seed crop). Any plants which result would be hand pollinated, and seed returned to you. It wouldn't be grown until next year though, I'd keep the seeds in the fridge until then. My SSE listed email is still valid.

Worst case scenario, you could probably recover Warsaw Buff from the crossed SSE seed, via hand pollination... although it would probably take 2-3 generations to be certain of its purity.

• Macmex
    3 years ago

Chris, I will certainly end you what seed I can muster. This spring I actually planted one entire batch of seed, having followed some protocols to revive old seed. I didn't, however, have a germination chamber. i simply placed the seed near the surface, in a tray with good soil mix and kept it on a heating pad. nothing germinatied.

Our conditions are hard on seeds. We don't use AC most of the time and temps in the house can reach 90 F. with humidity of 70 or 80 %. In the last six or seven years I've begun storing more seed in the freezer.

Sponsored