Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylis_gw

Help to ID pumpkin

Phylis
9 years ago

Hello! Can I have some help confirming the identity of this white pumpkin? The produce store calls it 'Lumina Pumpkin', and said it's delicious baked.

I'm excited to try it and save the seeds for next year. When I checked online, most pictures of lumina are a lot more round and less squat like this one? All the "lumina pumpkins" displayed in store look similar.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by phylis on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 19:59

Comments (10)

• acorneti
    9 years ago

Hi!

Please tell us, which other cucurbitaceae are 2 miles around and might have been pollinators through bees.
    Rouge vif d Etampes is a shoddy fruit, but it matures a month faster then Lumina, so you have produced an early to harvest F1 ... call it 'Pinker Lumina'.
    All fruits of this F1 will be white first in 2015, but most of them (3/4) will mature more or less pink: around half light pink and 1/4 really pink.
    The white ones will be more globe and the true pink ones will be mostly flat and far more vapidly with the taste like Cinderella.
    You might nicely mendel with this seed, but you canôt combine nice taste and best pink color.
    So I would grow F2 of the globe whitish fruits in 2016 only to get a variety of faster Lumina.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

Please watch a few of F1 from the cross boer ford C. maxima 'Pumpkin de Durban' (PdD) pollinated by an Atlantic Giant to enhance weight, which now is from 50 to more then 100 lbs. in F1, while PdD only reaches 20 to 30#.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

I selected the largest (46 kg) of these F1s, which matured not so yellowish like the left behind fruit at the picture above but is still white.
    Damaged skin is only caused through laying face in weed and dirt.

• Phylis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you're right. Cinderella is displayed right next to the Luminas they've probably cross pollinated. Thus, a Cinderella shape Lumina. :D

Thank you. I like your advice and will give those seeds a try and see what comes up next year.

• Phylis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. It's AWESOME if truly a flat white boer! I'm looking for tasty heirloom white pumpkins. It does look like a good match -

From the Baker Creek website -
    Flat White Boer Pumpkin ( C. maxima) 105 days. Attractive, very flat, pure white pumpkins that are unique and tasty. Very firm and sweet orange flesh is perfect for pies and baking. A wonderful decoration and eating variety that was historically popular in South Africa and was named for the Dutch Boers who were the colonial power. We are glad to finally have seeds for this rare treasure. Fruits can grow to 30 lbs.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

...this is no boer ford!
    As a breeder of boer fords I state that boer fords donôt develop such thick green flesh under the skin.
    And please look at the ribbing: even my F1 from the boer ford 'Nadym' (Pumpkin de Durban x AG) has a deeper ribbing then this cross here, which is Lumina x Cinderella cocksure.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

I had such a boer ford with too flat ribbing two years ago. And this fruit also was small and had flat ribs and too thick green flesh under the skin, but it was storable until late spring. So your fruit at the beginning of this thread might be some kind of boer ford too and not a random cross with Cinderella on Lumina.
    Please see a picture from April 2013 with that little boer ford right behind, which was harvested in early September 2012.

• Phylis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you acorneti :) I emailed the produce store to request for ID and never heard back...

Do you have extra seeds for a delicious heirloom small-medium white or blue pumpkin for trade? I have many culinary herbs, peppers or vege if you're interested.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

I have a nice C. pepo acorn 'White Swan' pollinated by an Atlantic Giant from the C. maxima species. This interspecific cross now is double the size and four times in weight compared to the mother fruit. I do not know about diversification of F1, but I will select the smallest and the biggest ones to breed two lines then in 2016: a market fruit with about 10 lbs. and a variety to enlarge unlimited.
    I could give you seed for the 2017 season of this white squash then.
    My little white winter squash C. maxima 'Ute white' grows like the Turk's Turban with Turban and a segmented dumpling in front. This tiny little 2#er grows pure white but matures light grey, as you can see at the picture below.
    I have many blue pumpkins and squash bred from New England Blue, Bleu de Hongrie, New Zealand Blue, Triamble and Blue Banana. Here I have to wait a year for differentiation of varieties.
    Since I would have to pay the fright across the Atlantic plus customs declaration, I think that we might change a little more seed for 2016 but not not now.
    So you could test Ute Indian from rareseeds now, which grows a little more grey with a light green background: http://www.rareseeds.com/ute-indian-squa/
    stay in touch

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH