Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouting seeds inside a pumpkin?

Posted by elaine1960 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 13:07

Has anyone ever encountered this and did I do something wrong? I have always purchased pumpkins and cooked them down to make fresh pumpkin pies and have never encountered this. This year I grew my own "cheese pumpkins" and while opening one found that some of the seeds inside were sprouting.The rest of the pumpkins were okay. Now the pumpkins themselves looked riped with no blemishes. I just cut open another today and found the same thing - sprouting seeds. The meat doesn't appear to be over ripe and the tecture appears okay. Did I let them over ripen on the vine? Is it okay to eat this pumpkin? The seeds do not appear to look worth roasting. Any help with this would be appreciated. I am new at this and totally confused. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouting seeds inside a pumpkin?

If the pumpkin gets too warm after it is harvested for a long period of time the seeds can start to sprout. It is nothing to worry about. Sometimes it just happens even if they aren't kept too warm. Oh and since I am sure you are wondering too warm would be above around 70F.

o
RE: Sprouting seeds inside a pumpkin?

Interesting, I guess I will have to rethink about where I store them. I thought my basement was cool enough. Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here