Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Is There A Black Pumpkin?

Edymnion
12 years ago

I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No, there are no pumpkins that grow natural black gourds", but I have seen other gourds that have very dark coloration, so I can't be 100%.

So, to put my curiosity to rest, "Are there black pumpkins that I can grow from seeds?"

Comments (26)

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Closest I've been able to find is a Jarrahdale pumpkin that grows a medium blue/gray color. I suppose if I were the industrious type I'd plant one of those and replant the darkest ones for the next 10 years until I made my own black pumpkin breed, but that takes too long if there's already a suitably black one already out there that I just can't find.

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, thank you.

The Honey Bear, Tiptop PMR, or Kobacha would be perfect if they were larger.

Any idea what that one is in your first picture on the top left? It appears fairly sizeable while keeping a more or less traditional pumpkin apperance.

A pumpkin is a type of squash, I wonder if they could be crossbred? Say a Fantasy with a Kobacha?

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

They crossbreed within species.Baker Creek has a wide selection of open pollinated variesties including some Thai varieties. Most of the Thai varies are C. moschata. Evergreen seeds has a wide supply of hybrids including Kabocha types C.maxima)
    This the Thai squash Fagtong Sri Muang which get about as dark as the Black Futsu but goes to a terra cotta color as it cures. {{gwi:70938}}

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found a Jarrahdale at the store last night while popping in for cokes. I'm betting the odds of those seeds being pure is next to zero.

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just did an image search on the Fagtong Sri Muang. Black or not, I'm going to have to grow one of those. Found a picture of one that was sky and navy blue. The fact they can also come out almost black as well is just icing on the cake.

Now to find seeds. Only place I've found them so far is Bobby's Seeds over in Europe, but they won't ship to the US.

Thanks for the heads up! Always pays to ask people who know their stuff than trying to rely on what a novice can dig up on google. =)

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ended up finding a pretty dark green pumpkin at a local supermarket labeled as a novelty pumpkin. No clue what it is. Lighter green on the base, a dark camo green on the sides, and touches of becoming orange/brown near the handle.

Wondering what the odds of the seeds from it being pure are.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Geez Louise, that is HUGE, or am I mistaking the scale?!?!?!

I love pumpkins, I hope to grow a few types next year. I'll have to add some of these to my list!!!

• scootah
    9 years ago

it's about the size of a nice beach ball - I wish I knew what kind it is, but I know nothing about pumpkins except that this bad boy is going on my shelf as my Back In Black ACDC decoration.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

This Cucurbita moschata 'Bueng Karn' in front shows deep green between nearly black. The little C. maxima 'Red Melk' behind only has a little black around the crown and in the mirror rays.
    Red Melk pollinated by Bueng Karn produced this third fruit C. maxima 'Xenija' (much xenia and metaxenia seen parental generation) with light grey, dark grey and a little light grey to white in the mirror but no orange, yellow or red!
    There must be a 'no-color' gene in Bueng Karn, which dominates over all yellow to red.
    Color-or-not might be not double dominant for Xenija F1. And so it will possibly show a few double recessive for no-color.

This post was edited by acorneti on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 14:52

• stardrifting
    9 years ago

I grew 'Black Futsu' C. moschata this summer. First time ever growing pumpkins. It was a cool experiment.

Stacy

• Katherine N Justin Field
    9 years ago

so this is my dads "black pumpkin". he was given a pumpkin last year and only told it was called a black pumpkin. he kept the seeds and this is what he has grown this year. looks like a squash but is most definitely a pumpkin, very orange firm flesh.

it is the most beautiful pumpkin I have ever tasted!

• acorneti
    9 years ago

This might be Tetsukabuto´s offspring: F1 original seed from the interspecifically bred C. maxima x moschata is far better!

• Sheryl Gallant
    9 years ago

The Hopi Black squash is actually black or a dark charcoal at one point but matures to the orange/green mix. It's dark green when small, then black then orange. Some smaller ones mature to orange from dark green but the large ones have a black stage in between.

• Mokinu
    8 years ago

You might enjoy the Thai Kang Kob pumpkin: http://www.rareseeds.com/thai-kang-kob-pump/

• acorneti
    8 years ago

Because of our climate north of the Alps I don´t grow black Thais again, but I have bred some true seed varieties out of interspecific crosses of Cucurbita moschata 'Beung Karn' and different C. maximas, which grow in a very short season. This year I seeded them outdoor on June 18 and harvested in late September, while I had to do hard work with indoor propagation for all my C. moschatas, which I had to seed in early April for set out after the Frost Saints. But I also have bred black plus red pumpkins with golden spots, which are very much liked in South Africa. Please watch my Cucurbita maxima 'Gelukkig'! This compact variety - small but heavy - is very high in starch, which turns to sugar when fried as sticks or chips. It is also best for baby food and curries. Very long storable and prettiest ever bred ornamental too. You can buy this variety from me only for licence growing, when you offer me a nice prize in $ with at least five digits.

• acorneti
    8 years ago

• Brigette Curtis
    7 years ago

Yes there is a black pumpkin I have one in my garden!!!

• Brigette Curtis
    7 years ago

• fresc1000
    7 years ago

That appears to just be an unripe Halloween pumpkin and will probably turn orange in time

• Ludwig Ammer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Cucurbita maxima 'Titisee'

• clown gremlin
    4 years ago

the only "black pumpkin" that i know it the "table king" , "black futsu" "black stone" " green hokkaido"

• Alyssa Abbott
    3 years ago

• HU-201525972
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is my black pumpkin. We tried for 5 yrs to grow one. It is not an acorn squash. It is a Black pumpkin, at about 1 lb. I'm very proud of them & we are the hit of the season! Everybody wants them. Hope this helps to know if can be done.

Sponsored