Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hit the 'Mother Load'

Posted by Lillie1441 b3 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 04 at 18:51

My husband told me last week that he had seen gourds growing on a fence down the road. Sure enough,there were hundreds of beautiful gourds on the vines. 3 different kinds. So today we were out and we stopped by and asked the man about them. He said he just grew them for the fun of it and to give some to his friends. The vines and leaves were already dry on one vine,(bottleneck)and he told me to get as many as I wanted. I didn't want to be greedy so I got 12 nice ones. He said he will let me know when the others are ready and I can have all I want!! Some of the ones I didn't get are huge and there are 2 different kinds besides the bottleneck! I put the 12 down in old panty hose (well actually new panty hose,but I never wear them anymore so that was a little sacrifice for 12 gourds!LOL)and hung them under my carport to dry. I am so excited! I hope they all dry nicely. Summer projects in the making! I told him I would gladly pay for them and for future ones. He said no,but if I had seeds from a dipper gourd he would like to have some. I do and will take them to him next week. Another good thing,now my DH is all excited about growing our own next year!LOL Don't ya just love gourds!!!
God bless..............Lillie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hit the 'Mother Load'

Congrats on all of your gourds. You really got lucky. I...on the other hand did not. My neighbor down the road well actually it was his mothers place and he gardens there and takes care of it, well anyway I noticed he had been hanging a lot of gourds for bird houses. The other day when I was getting my mail I saw him out so I yelled over and asked how he was doing...yada...yada... so during the conversation I asked him if he grew those gourds. He said that he did and I told him that I was painting on them. He said that he wished that he had known that because the week before he had given someone over 150...yes I said OVER 150 gourds. I wish I hadn't even talked to him now. Anyway Lillie, I'm glad that yours turned out to be a success story.

o
RE: I hit the 'Mother Load'

Our pharmacist grows gourds so the vines will cover his patio, then calls me when he has them piled behind the garage. Can't wait to see what I find this year! We usually get about 50 or so from him.

Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here