Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Planting Seeds vs. Starting In Greenhouse

sandhill_farms
19 years ago

I'm getting ready to send my heirloom tomato seeds to a nursery who will start them for me. The reason I'm doing this is because (1) I don't have a greenhouse, (2) because living in the desert I need to get a jump on the season before the hot weather arrives, (I'll have the plants in the ground by March 1st). My question is: would it be necessary to have the gourd seeds started as well, or should I just plant them in the ground when the soil warms-up, (sometime in April). I would prefer the latter to cut costs. Our growing season lasts unil "at least" September or later. Thanks for the help.

Greg

Comments (12)

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Greg-I'm no expert on growing gourds (I just paint em!),but I would think with that long of a growing season,putting the seeds in the ground would work just fine.I'm sure someone with more experience than I will throw in their 2 cents here...Lillie

• JerseyMike
    19 years ago

I've always had better luck with direct sowing. Gourds seem to be VERY sensitive to root disturbance. My transplanted gourds always seem stunted and grow slower than seeds planted in the ground even when the direct sowing occurs after I transplanted the first batch.

• charly1
    19 years ago

My 2 cents.......
    Last season I tried it both ways.
    I wanted to get a jump on the growing season and started seeds in foam cups until they were about 2 inches up.
    The SAME DAY I transplanted them in the ground I planted a few hills of seeds.
    It wasn't long until the direct planted seeds overtook the transplanted ones. Well into the growing season there was no difference in plant size or quality.
    Lesson; No more wasting time with gourds in foam (or any other type of) cups.

• homegrown54
    19 years ago

My two cents' worth... plant 'em outside with the moon waxing and be sure to give 'em a good strong cussin'... An old timer told me that they won't grow unless they get "cussed" real good right at the start! If it's wet in the spring, be sure not to plant them till the ground's good and warm or they will rot. And LOTS of manure or compost in the hill!

• charly1
    19 years ago

Do I have to cuss them in the moonlight or can I wait until daylight?

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"Do I have to cuss them in the moonlight or can I wait until daylight?"

Oh heck Charly1, why don't you just stay up late, (make it a party), and you can cuss-em at midnight. LOL

BTW, my aunt worked for the state department for many-many years.

Greg
    Sandhill Farms
    Nevada

P.S. Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will be direct seeding my gourds this spring.

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

I lost my gourds last year by planting them early, then, we had a freaky wet spring... stunted the poor guys so they didn't produce until august... got very tiny gourds.. :o(
    I will now wait...and wait...

• gourd_friends
    19 years ago

Homegrown,
    Have you actually had good results from your recommended method, or are you just passing on someone else's advice?
    ;)

Just curious.....

Jan

• laramie38
    19 years ago

We have lots of problems with field mice and rats digging up the seed. So, we coat the seeds with a fine powder of ant poison before planting.

• sowngrow (8a)
    19 years ago

I always start mine in the house in January or early February. Once the seeds germinate, I put them in my unheated greenhouse until our last freeze date which is March 17th. Then, I plant them in the ground. I've never had a problem with this method. I've grown turban and loofahs so far and now I've got apple and bushel started.

• ford8n
    19 years ago

Sandhill Farms I live in zone 5 and i start my birdhouse seeds in my greenhouse the 1st.of may.I transplant outside the 1st of june. I fully beleive that starting your seeds inside give you at least a 4 week head start,which is a lot in zone 5.
    If you use peatpots you don't bother the root system at all just rip the bottom out of the peatpot and plant the rest. good luck

• ssowieja
    19 years ago

I agree ford8n. I'm in zone 4 and if I don't start them early I don't have any crop. I like starting mine in paper cups from the coffee hubby gets. They just break away and I've never had transplant problems. I start mine inside then move them to the greenhouse and then out to the garden.
    My greenhouse is known as my hideout!
    Sue in MN

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals