Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
birdhouse gourds dry?

Posted by danaoh SWOhio zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 13:56

I only got 5 off my vine this year, only 1 is really shaped like a birdhouse gourd =- the others are different, but still usable. They have been sitting on a bench in the middle of my back yard, and now are as light as a feather, but I can really see why you don't let them in your house to dry - full of mold. Could I leave them out there in the rain and snow and freezing, or should I bring them in and clean them (really very busy time, would rather wait until after the holidays, but what if it gets really bad?) Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: birdhouse gourds dry?

they will be fine if you leave them till a better time. You might want to put them somewhere that the wind won't blow them, but they will be ok outdoors.

Jan

o
RE: birdhouse gourds dry?

I leave my gourds outside all winter, but in cardboard boxes on the patio so they don't blow away. Then I open the boxes, and after a rainy day, or two, in spring, I take out a 5 gallon bucket of warm soapy water (for my hands) and a chore boy scrubbie, and work away. If it has been dry outside, the cleaning is much harder, as the skin is stuck tightly to the shell. Then the fun really begins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here