Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Squash

Posted by groall 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 16:49

I love growing Winter Squash....I was down visiting in California and found this squash at a local store.....the "clerk" told me it was a "Terri" squash, but I know that isn't it's name.....maybe the person who raised it........size, shape and taste similar to "Long Island Cheese" but not the look.....any help out there.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Squash

The only one I know with those markings is the small kabocha type Speckled Pup (C. maxima)

o

Thanks for the posting.......but I know it's not Speclked Pup or Speckled Hound" I've grown both and they have a similar shape but smaller and both have more orange to red in their coloration......all of these they had at the store were similar in size with the same colors and pattern.....almost want to call them a "frog" squash with the colors they have......are loaded with a small seed about the size of a cucumber seed and not much else....

o

Don't think it is a possibility but the kabocha type Hai is also speckled. Grey on dark green. Your photo shows some orange. Hai is a 7-8 lb variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hai squash

o

To me it looks like Bliss, which is c. moschata like Long Island Cheese

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here