Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lscully02

Pumpkins and melons in same 'patch'?

lscully02
14 years ago

Hello!

I was thinking of trying to grow one or two pumpkin varieties next year and also one melon variety. My question is, how far away does the pumpkins have to be from each pumpkin variety and also the melon to not croos pollinate and make my melons taste pumpkin-y?

Thank you! (I'm a newbie!!)

Comments (7)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Melons and squash ( pumpkin is a squash) don't cross pollinate so that will not be a problem. major factor is that some squashes are very susceptible to Mildew which will spread to the melons especially cantaloupes. Squash bug population can also build up on squashes and attack melons when at a high population density. Big squashes like Jack O lantern type pumpkins are also space hogs and can crowd out melons in close proximity.

• lscully02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you FarmerDilla! I knew they weren't in the same 'family' of plants, but I wasn't sure if somehow bees pollinating would make the other item taste funny!

I'm thinking of Cinderella pumpkin, and maybe Jarrahdale (one variety will probably go into a separate bed though) then Charentais melon, with a possibility of a small watermelon too. So no huge jack o lantern types, but it looks like the cinderella and jarrahdales get kinda big too.

Thanks a bunch for replying!

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

The Jarrahdale and the Rouge Vif d'Etampes (Cinderella) are both C. maximas and will cross. Not a problem unless you want to save seeds. If you do, then consider bagging the blossoms. You will not be able to seperate enough as bees fly considerable distances.

• lscully02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was thinking if I do decide on two pumpkins, one in the front yard and one in backyard, even then I would need to bag blossoms? Would I bag all blossoms I see on them, and if so does that mean I would do the hand pollinating, right?

thanks so much I really appreciate your help

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Yes you will have to hand pollinate if you grow two of the same species. You would need at least a quarter to a half mile physical separation. You would only have to bag one or two and hand pollinate to get a seed pumpkin. Each one has a lot of seeds. You could also try two different species of pumpkin, like substitute a C. moschata for one of the ones you are considering. Oh and you only have to bag female blossoms. Macmex has an extremely good thread on hand pollination. just scroll down.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

Lscully02, just to be sure you're getting what Farmerdilla is saying, if you aren't planning to save and replant your own seed you absolutely don't need to worry about cross pollination issues. But if you do want to save seed, then you need to take precautions to prevent crossing of your seed. That means, either you find a minimum of 1/4 mile isolation distance for varieties of the same species (Jarrahdale and the Rouge Vif d'Etampes) or else you hand pollinate. If you hand pollinate you only have to hand pollinate the fruit from which you intend to save seed.

Here's a link to the thread on hand pollination of squash.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand pollination of Squash

• lscully02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you Farmerdilla! I don't have that much room/land, but good to know. True that I would only need to bag a few female flowers to get true seeds... that's less work :)

Macmex- yes I do understand, but thank you for re-clarifying! Much appreciated!

I really appreciate the help you two! I'm very new to this and not 100% sure what I'm doing yet :)

Sponsored