Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Arundo donax

Posted by lion so CA 92223 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 0:12

The giant reed is mistaken for bamboo, used for flutes, and has escaped into the wild.

I have many rhizomes as this has grown over 12 feet tall in my yard. In my experience, it does NOT spread out of the area in which it is watered.

Right now, I'm interested in a Chorisia speciosa sapling, pup from a large specie of banana, or Buddha belly bamboo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Arundo donax

I realize it's a year later but God I hope u still have this stuff------I've even asked the nursery to order it for me and they don't have a clue!! What would it take for u to part with a small piece--I've wanted some for a couple years but no one seems to know what it is-I would even pay --let me know---my gardening book says it's hardy too!! thanks!

o

Have you obtained any Arundo donax, yet? If you're still interested in it, I have some I will share/trade/sell. Let me know.

o

I'd like to get a couple of these. Probably will have to wait until spring though...

If anyone has some for trade please let me know

thx

o

Giant reed arundo donax roots are available at http://seedsource.ecrater.com. Transplanted bare roots will start putting out new growth in about 2 weeks during warm weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed source

o

I still have the same plant and the same Email address.

Any camelias or bananas out there?

Interested in the more unusual foods and herbal medicine.

o

I have jacob's tears seed grows similar to a bushy corn is edible and used as jewelry (rosary beads)I also have hardy jasmine ,I'm not sure of the name but it has been here for about 4 yrs.I also have verigated porcelin vine.In your zone it would be so happy the rest of the stuff I have would probably not be of interest to you maybe just give you the money to get the plant you want ?or order it to be sent to you let me know .Most of the stuff we have would probably be considered weeds to you or may not grow.I do have a variety of Sedums.thank you

o

I am in need of Arundo Donax, especially from California. Is it still available? I have raspberries for trade.

o

• Posted by Skie_M Zone 7 (Southwestern (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 0:01

Yup .... this is the stuff I'm looking for more information about. :) There are several stands of it in town where I live that are in walking distance ... I'll see if I can get some permission to dig some up.

The information I'm looking for is ... How should I go about transplanting this to my own back yard? Is there a guide for making and rooting cuttings? What's the Rhizome? What about seeds? What soil would they grow best in?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here