Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Eragrostis spectabilis question

laceyvail 6A, WV
10 years ago

Will it seed all over the place? I'd like to use it as an edging to a bed, but I really can't use anything that's going to reseed everywhere.

Comments (9)

• donn_
    10 years ago

Yes, it will reseed with abandon. It develops very light seed clusters which break off the plant and are blown about like tumbleweed.

• sam_md
    7 years ago

Here it is in its full glory. This is a recent pic from the Nat'l Arboretum. This one can take poor soil in dry sites. It can tolerate mowing earlier in the year. At least now, it looks so soft and natural, hard not to love Purple Lovegrass.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is very nice. Because of this post I am rethinking this grass and decided to try some in my dry garden, I've got an order in and plan a small stand in one area. That is very pretty. The leaves turn a nice red and gold shades in fall and it looks great with the pink plumes of seeds in photos I googled. Nice height too, I think it will mix well with the little bluestem and blue grama I have up front and I don't mind if it seeds about some and naturalizes.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago

I was just driving back from a Plant swap in San Antonio all crooked on country roads on a glorious fall late afternoon and ran into this stand of Purple Love grass ( petticoat lifter) on Middle creek road between Blanco and Henley. I love Lovegrass in the landscape and up close. it is to the far right by the fence.

Here in Central Texas , it does stay fairly small and innocuous till showtime.

I would be happy to grab some seed TxR. That would mean another road trip. I have some growing in my yard but it is nowhere near as vigorous and nice as these. They say they are not Calcium tolerant in their description on Ladybirds database. maybe it is another Love grass.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago

I have never seen waves of clusters blowing in the wind like tumbleweed. Not saying , it does not happen. I just haven't seen it in all the years of living in Lovegrass country.. I read that on Ladybird Johnson database and a couple of other places in my research. It sounds like a mime that is picked up and repeated by people who just repeat things and have never seen it either. I get tumble weed images burying my car. Scary. Not this grass.

• User
    7 years ago

I bought 3 P. Love Grass plants and they have some seeds on them, I planted them down on the dry hell strip by the Indian Grass. My plan is to sow some seeds on that dry strip along the driveway for filler among Andropogon ternarius.

It looks like there is some nice bluestem in that field and whatever the low yellow plant is in the background makes a stunning backdrop for the purple love grass, gorgeous!! I'm wondering what the cinnamon colored grass is off to the back? Thats a nice tapestry of color.

I'm hot to find seeds of A. virginicus. I'm keeping my eyes peeled around here but so far haven't seen any. Do you ever see it down there? Its mostly SE but its supposed to be in Texas and Oklahoma too. Maybe its only in the eastern parts?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago

The yellow is an annual that comes up on wet years. I think it is False annual Broomweed (Amphiachyris dracuncloides) or Texas broomweed (Ampphiachryris amoena). I think it is the A. amoena. Ranchers do not like it. It really spreads about, but is easily controlled with a June mow for several years or a gentle yank.. I pull it out in my cactus garden but let it go in the front..

here is the structure. It comes up as a single stem and then branches out. So it hovers above the ground level.

And it makes LOTS of seeds, but I only see this on years with wet springs. Nice how we get different pallets on different years. GOD you should see the Maximillian Sun flower. More like Max-a-million sunflower. They are ablaze.

• User
    7 years ago

We have acres and acres of that annual snake weed here, it grows everywhere. Its really pretty with Goldenrods and there are different types of Goldenrods along the sides of the roads blooming among seas of snakeweed wherever they don't mow. I do wish they'd slow down on the mowing! Maximillian sunflowers have put on a better show in other years, its been very dry here remember? These like the low ditches along the highways, thats where they look their best.

You'd think the Goldenrods would suffer more from the drought but they never seem to, each year they look good.

I've seen different types of sunflowers, there is a low growing type I saw a lot of yesterday, I have no idea what kind it is, the plants were about a foot tall and rather bushy. It would make a good garden sized plant....

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago

I hear it is toxic for cattle.