Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creamgogo

help, had to move all my grasses

creamgogo
18 years ago

having foundation work done on house, which wasn't supposed to be done till late spring. it's now to be done first of feb. they for sure wouldn't have made it through this. that's why i moved them.

anyway, moved 3 miscanthus, zebra grass, blue stem, fountain, northern oats, etc...

the temp was 54, but cold weather is coming again. please tell me what i SHOULD have done and then what i STILL SHOULD do.

thanks, cream

Comments (4)

• donn_
    18 years ago

It doesn't sound like you had much option in the matter. This isn't the best time in their cycles to move the grasses you list (warm season growers), but if you disturbed their roots as little as possible (big rootballs) and put them in the ground in a safe place, watering them in, they'll have their best chance of survival.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

If the foundation work requires digging near the roots of the grasses, it was probably prudent to move them. However, because they are dormant, they would have been okay under repeated treading or working over them and could have been simply cut back and left in the ground.

But to the matter at hand. Either pot them in very large pots and cover them in soil, compost or at least leaves (do not smother their crowns), or cover them with same and tamp the soil or compost about them. Cut them back now and use cut foliage as a loose mulch, keep them somewhat moist (snow cover will be ideal) and make sure they drain well. Replant at first opportunity once the ground thaws. Prune any dry, brittle roots if needed, for they can dry quickly once exposed to air; you also may divide. Reduced top-growth this coming summer can be expected, but that will only be due to renewed growth of their hairy feeding roots. (It is possible that they will regain their former sizes by summer's end, since they are all warm-season growers.)

The worst, to avoid, is letting their roots dry or freeze at temps below their tolerance. That is why they need to be covered (see above) generously. [Hardiness-ratings are not directly relevant to root systems, because once the ground around them freezes, it is apt to hold warmer temps than the lowest air-temperature readings.]

• creamgogo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i did leave the plants in place that i thought would just get trampled, but the ones i dug were in "the" spots that the dig would take place.

i had just planted them this summer, so they are fairly small and very easy to dig. where i moved them to the ground was very easy to dig, also. so i did plant them and mulched them with leaves (not the crowns), and watered them.

how often should i water them? how deep should the leaves be around them. what's the chances of these guys surviving?

lmk your thoughts, cream

• donn_
    18 years ago

They shouldn't need too much watering, unless it's warmer and drier than usual. The initial watering is important, to clear air pockets and insure good root/soil contact. A few inches of mulch should be enough. They'll probably survive, but, as Bru said, they may be a little slow to gain the foliage height you would expect in their second year. A lot depends on the weather. It's been so weird this year, it's impossible to say for certain.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets
More Discussions