Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Starting grasses indoors during winter!

Posted by swede1234 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 10:17

Hi, just a very humble beginner... Am really attracted to the contrasts of ornamental grasses mixed in with flowers...

I dont have lots of space & live in mostly shady area, so haven't invested in a lot of seeds... However, I have grabbed the tops of a number of local and neighbor's plants.... What do I need to do to start these beauties indoors? (I do start my tomatoes with grow lights in winter here)

My concerns:

About when should I start? Last frost is about 1rst week May..

Unsure if these are perennials... Suspect they are.

Winter here today is 35 below windchill...

***! How to extract seeds from these tops, planting soil, fertilizer moisture, etc?

Do I need a lot of light? I live mostly in a woods... Perennial garden gets sun from 10:00-11:00 AM to about 5-6 PM in summer...

Is there a seed exchange like the tomatoes for different or hardier varieties?

What considerations should I be worried about? Is there problems with grasses taking over garden?

Anything else you can think of to help this puzzled old guy...

Thanks, "May trouble always be a stranger to you! ...or at least only a nodding acquaintence!"

Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Starting grasses indoors during winter!

You might want to take a look at the Winter Sowing Forum. It's a surprisingly successful method of starting seeds outdoors during the winter, and it works very well with most ornamental grass varieties. They also have lots of information on collecting and cleaning seeds.

o
RE: Help! Starting grasses indoors during winter!

Thanks Donn, I'll give it a shot....though I can't imagine how they do that outdoors with the tons of ice & snow this time of year....

Of course, my mind these days is as dependable as an April rain!....

Thanks, Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here