Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pollyny

whats on your want list

PollyNY
18 years ago

Of ornamental grasses for 06.

I have decided I want Miscanthus 'Andante', after seeing the picture in Plant Delights catalog.

Also in that catalog is Muhlenbergia 'White Cloud', which I absolutely love, but of course would not do well here.

I am also hoping to get Molinia 'Strahlenquelle'.

What does everyone else plan on ordering, or starting from seed this year?

Comments (10)

• donn_
    18 years ago

From seed:

New:

Pennisetum glaucum 'Jester'
    Carex comans 'Bronze'
    Calamagrostis brachytricha
    Deschampsia caespitosa

More of:

Miscanthus sinensis 'New Hybrids'
    Miscanthus sinensis 'Central Park'
    Festuca glauca 'Select'
    Festuca scoparia
    Festuca mairei
    Festuca gigantea
    Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry'
    Eragrostis spectabilis
    Carex muskingumensis
    Chasmanthium latifolium
    Cortaderia selloana
    Hystrix patula
    Lagurus ovatus
    Luzula nivea
    Luzula sylvatica
    Sesleria caerulea
    Nassella tenuissima

Failed last year, try again:

Pennisetum glaucum 'Purple Majesty'
    Erianthus ravennae
    Helictotrichon sempervirens
    Millium effusum 'Aureum'
    Sesleria nitida

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

I have to pull in the reins on new plants this season - there is simply no more room at the inn!! I already have a couple of new shrubs in mind and I've yet to figure out what is going out so that they can go in.....adding more grasses will be a challenge. I've been ruminating on adding a pink muhly, perhaps Muhlenbergia capillaris, also in the PDN catalog. There were several plants in that catalog I found rather tempting :-)

Donn, I'm surprised you were not able to get Millium effusum 'Aureum' going for you - it grows like a weed here. In fact, it IS rather weedy and I am constantly trying to keep seedlings from taking over.

• donn_
    18 years ago

I got germination in 2 of 8 cells, but the seedlings didn't survive after transplanting. I don't know what went wrong, as many other seedlings in the same nursery bed did fine.

I'll keep at it.

• jake
    18 years ago

I want more of what I got already. More ornamental grasses.

Different grasses than what's in the yard now. I want the new grasses to grow and perform as well as the ones standing tall and looking like honey wheat, faded chocolate and golden horizon like the setting sun, in colors.

I want some one else to dig, split and replant the large clumps that are waiting for me to get the shovel, wedge and sledge to split the tough ones.

I want to read more about others success and even the failures so that we as an ornamental demented grass group can learn what is so wonderful about the ornamental grasses we donÂt have.

I want more of the same.

Success to all in the coming growing season.

Ornamental grasses  a manÂs perennials.

Jake

• donn_
    18 years ago

Jake, if you were a bit closer, I'd split your grasses for you. For a nice fee in divisions, of course.

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Pink Muhly grass on my dog's grave (buried him this morning in pouring rain)
    Now I have to find a source for this one as I've not seen it about my area.

i'll be busy dividing/potting the many, many grasses i obtained when I bought the entire stock of a small, grass rich nursery that decided to get out of the business. 22 varieties of Miscanthus alone...

i'll be watching to see if there are varieties that I don't like and will allow to go away and not replace.

• wallis104
    18 years ago

So sorry to hear of the loss of your dog..... The Pink Muhly gass will be beautiful !!

• PollyNY
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I wish I had some pink muhly to send you, but it's not hardy for us here. It certainly will look nice. It's so hard to lose a pet.

It's good you are going to be busy dividing and potting up all that you purchased from that business. How many plants in total did you get?

Polly

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Sorry for the delay in my response. I had no idea anyone would express sympathy for my dog dying. Thanks for that. Derek kindly emaled me directly with an offer to send me Pink Muhly in a month or so when his Utah soil eases up a bit. To answer Polly -- I've brought home between 400-500 grasses so far and there are more grasses and MANY perennials to follow.

The story goes like this: I bought grasses from a very kind woman on the other side of the city about 9 months ago and when I was visiting her home nursery (not a retail site) I mentioned to her that if she ever was thinking of getting out of the business and wanted a loving home for her many fine plants, she should look me up. She did. She knew I was a grass freak and knew that I had a ton of energy and passion for these and other plants. So here I am today with a serious collection and working on a business plan to bring these wonderful plants into the lives of others.

Thanks again for your sympathy.

• sherrob
    16 years ago

I need help. I planted maiden grass a couple of years ago. The first year I did not trim it back until spring and it did wornderful that year. The next year I finally timmed it back around late Feb.-March. My grass died. It did not come back at all this year. Before I buy more, I would like to know why it died and what I did wrong.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am new to this.