Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Zone 5 Growers of Pink Muhly Grass....

gardenlady48
17 years ago

I've been tempted to push the limit on growing zone for this Pink Muhly Grass. I grow others that info stated zone 6 and they do just fine! Just wondering if there is anyone out there that grows this grass successfully in zone 5. I would love to hear about it. Thanks!!!

Pam

Comments (23)

• dereks
    17 years ago

Well, I'm in zone 6 and had success in growing the plant itself but it never would bloom. Fall comes just a bit too early for it. Our average frost date is Oct 15.

• donn_
    17 years ago

You might consider Eragrostis spectabilis (Purple Love Grass) instead. The foliage isn't as nice (broader and greener) but the bloom is almost as good, and it's hardy to at least zone 5. It's also a snap to grow from seed.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

I grow it in a container and overwinter it in my 'cool' garage. It lives but sends up only a few whimpy blooms and as a plant it is just struggling along.

Better coveted in zone 5 than grown in zone 5.

A.

• fleur_guy
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I really wanted to try some this year
    It really looks teriffic in the catalog. Northeast Ohio
    may be a little too cool.

• nanahanna
    17 years ago

Ruby grass might be a substitue as it is is wonderful and overwinters here but is considered an annual in more northern climates. Can be grown from seed too. I save seed and share with others since mine reseeds itself and I don't have to re-sow. It holds its shape all winter too for good winter interest.

• donn_
    17 years ago

I love your Ruby Grass. I got some seed from the 'Savannah' cultivar, and I'm looking forward to growing it this year.

• rymea
    8 years ago

You might try this one instead. It is hardy in zone 5. Muhlenbergia reverchonii

Undaunted Ruby Muhly Grass

• Lynn Anne Miller
    5 years ago

I live in zone 5a. I wanted so to plant pink muhly to show it's beauty. No pink blooms in my container or on my slope. However, I will wait to see if it comes back this season. I just read about Muhlenbergia reverchonii - ruby muhly grass. There is a site called White Farms I'm impressed with - haven't ordered yet, but will try a few plants this spring. Reviews have been glowing.

• dbarron
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I can tell you that I abused M reverchonii for years in a pot, and it kept living. I finally planted it this summer, and got a few plumes. It seems taller and less full than pink muhly grass though. I hope it's more full next year. I also bought a new one (which did not flower this year) and immediately planted it. No torture years for this one :)

However, a thought that occurs to me, is it reminds me more of a panic grass than a muhly.

If you're looking for a good place to order, I recommend Santa Rosa Gardens, the plants are young and vigorous and the prices are right (esp if you wait for for a sale, I currently have a 30% off coupon, but I tend to do the midsummer or fall clearance at 50% off).

• Lynn Anne Miller
    5 years ago

It was White Flower Farms that I found both M Reverchonii (Ruby Muhly) and Eragrostis Spectabilis (Purple Lovegrass). One thing noted was they will not bloom the first year and do not fertilize. . .so for my pink muhly I have hope for the second year. However, I did plant three of them in a container. Right now it provides some very nice winter interest. But, since the other two are zone 5, I will try on my sunny side slope. I will also look into Santa Rosa Gardens. PS Never heard of "panic grass."

• dbarron
    5 years ago

Panic grass is the genus panicum.

• Lynn Anne Miller
    5 years ago

Just bookmarked "Panicum Virgatum" Cheyenne Sky. What I liked was that it said full sun, half sun and half shade. That could cover every area of my slope; however, what defines "panic grass?" That doesn't sound good :)

• dbarron
    5 years ago

It just means (I think) that the panicles wave in the slightest breeze (panic/quaking)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Panic grass is just a common name for any variety of Panicum. Much like Hakone grass is the common name for Hakonechloa macra :-) Panicum holds its flowers/seed heads in a panicle or a loose branching cluster.

• Lynn Anne Miller
    5 years ago

Thank you. I try to find peace while landscaping. . .no panic wanted :)

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

Last year, i purchased MUHLENBERGIA UNDAUNTED from santa rosa gardens. i'm in zone 5b. on their website, they say that this is a very hardy grass. i'll let you know come spring if it survived.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    4 years ago

Bella Rosa, did it survive?

• bella rosa
    4 years ago

No, it did not.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    4 years ago

Bella Rosa, Oh that's too bad! I think I will pass on that one. Thanks for the update.

• Ken Lang
    2 years ago

Planted 12 in the ground two summers ago in zone 6. Got to minus 15 one night and killed five of them. Put them all in pots and just six made it. Second year very little blooms, not too optimistic for these in zone six and may be looking to send these to warmer climates.

• Deanna Haworth
    last year

I grow the pink muhly grass at my local botanical gardens zone 6b it does great but it is a slow grower takes several years to look beautiful but once established it is beautiful

• Lynn Anne Miller
    last year

Deanna Haworth, I always had visions of pink muhly grass growing along my side landscape area. However, I live in South Dakota where temperatures this year went to 30 below zero. And, the fact that this beauty takes several years to nestle into its earth made me realize it won't happen on my landscape. :(

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions