Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5 Growers of Pink Muhly Grass....

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 20, 07 at 11:21

I've been tempted to push the limit on growing zone for this Pink Muhly Grass. I grow others that info stated zone 6 and they do just fine! Just wondering if there is anyone out there that grows this grass successfully in zone 5. I would love to hear about it. Thanks!!!
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5 Growers of Pink Muhly Grass....

Well, I'm in zone 6 and had success in growing the plant itself but it never would bloom. Fall comes just a bit too early for it. Our average frost date is Oct 15.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 20, 07 at 14:33

You might consider Eragrostis spectabilis (Purple Love Grass) instead. The foliage isn't as nice (broader and greener) but the bloom is almost as good, and it's hardy to at least zone 5. It's also a snap to grow from seed.

o

I grow it in a container and overwinter it in my 'cool' garage. It lives but sends up only a few whimpy blooms and as a plant it is just struggling along.

Better coveted in zone 5 than grown in zone 5.

A.

o

Thanks for the info. I really wanted to try some this year
It really looks teriffic in the catalog. Northeast Ohio
may be a little too cool.

o

Ruby grass might be a substitue as it is is wonderful and overwinters here but is considered an annual in more northern climates. Can be grown from seed too. I save seed and share with others since mine reseeds itself and I don't have to re-sow. It holds its shape all winter too for good winter interest.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 29, 07 at 6:04

I love your Ruby Grass. I got some seed from the 'Savannah' cultivar, and I'm looking forward to growing it this year.

o

Nanahanna:
Where did you get your seeds? I'm too far north to grow as perennial but as an annual if it blooms and you grow from seed it sure makes sense.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here