Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_daisy

Telling male from female Pumila Pampas Grass

canadian_daisy
15 years ago

Am new to this forum but I really need some expert help regarding Pumila Pampas Grass.

I bought a clump from a Manitoba nursery in the spring of 08 and planted it outside in a big pot - it grew very well though was slow to start. I was eagerly waiting for it to flower with those silver white plumes, but was disappointed to find out that the plant was a male and only produced spindly black big-bluestem kind of flowers.

I plan to start again from seed. My question is how can I tell a female pumila grass from a male apart (beore they flower) so I won't be planting the wrong kind this time?

Would appreciate any information.

PS I know Zone 3a is too cold for this plant but I plan to treat it as an annual (keep it potted up)

Canadian Daisy

Comments (2)

• donn_
    15 years ago

First...I'm not sure you have a long and warm enough growing season to get any C.selloana to flower, male or female.

Second, the 'Pumila' cultivar, while not totally sterile, produces very few viable seeds from a good female specimen, in ideal conditions. I'm not sure where you can buy guaranteed viable seed.

Finally, your best bet for buying a female plant would be to use a well-reputed source. I can't point you to any such source, but I would talk to places like San Marcos, High Country, Santa Rosa, Kurt Blumel etc., and tell them what you need.

• canadian_daisy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks donn for the information. Since the likelihood of getting any viable seed is pretty slim, I think I'll give up on the idea.

By the way the nursery where I purchased the Pumila grass gave it a hardiness rating of Zone 4, that's what prompted me to try and grow it in my northern garden.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions