Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Cutting grass

Posted by weezee 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 13:30

I am looking to plant ornamental or prairie grasses along a fence line. What is the downside to not cutting grasses back in spring. Also how invasive are Big bluestem and spartina cordgrass? Looking for a grass that would be 6-8 feet tall and narrow. Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Cutting grass

If you don't cut down or burn down the old foliage, the plant looks terrible when the new growth starts coming up. It also represents a danger of crown rot.

Big Bluestem will self-sow in your zone.

There are 14 species of Spartina. Some are highly invasive, some mildly and some not so much.

It isn't likely either of these will reach 8' in your zone. 6'...maybe.

o

I never cut my little bluestem, but they I am lazy and I do not have problem with invasiveness or crown rot. It has to rain for things to rot., but they do seed out. There seed is not hugely fast growing. If you want them large then you need the Big Bluestem. If I was feeling annal, I would cut them back in Late winter.

o

Wantonamara, how tall does your big bluestem get? I was hoping to be able to plant it next to a fence to add some privacy to yard without taking a lot of space. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here