Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need suggestions

Posted by audmendous 7 Tx. (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 11, 06 at 14:28

I need an ornamental grass that is hardy to zone 7 and will tolerate alkaline soil. I'd like it to be 1-2' tall without the seedheads. I have some lindheimer muhly that is just a little bigger than what I want. I had some gulf muhly that I loved, but it is an annual here. I've looked at some feather grasses. What do you all think about those? Thank you all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need suggestions

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 11, 06 at 14:55

I started Stipa capillata and Nassella tenuissima from seed last year, and like them both very much. My soil is acid, but I don't think that matters much to either grass. I'll find out this spring if the Mexican Feather Grass over-wintered here, and I hope it does, because I bought a lot of seed. I like it well enough to grow it as an annual, but would prefer to have it return. The Stipa capillata will quite likely come back, but isn't as fine as the Nasella.

Another one I discovered by mistake is Eragrostis spectabilis, Purple Love Grass. It was traded as Pink Muhly, and is every bit as nice. It starts beautifully from seed and has stunning cloud-like infloresence over 12-18" foliage.

o

Thanks, donn. I think I'm going to try all of them and see which one(s) I like the best. I'm really excited about the Eragrostis. It sounds like it looks like the gulf muhly. I appreciate the help!

o

I live in Central Texas with alkaline soil and I see a lot of Mexican Feather grass. Have you considered that? It gets about a foot tall.

Xtal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here