Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner in need of advice

Posted by jack9 zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 15:51

Hi All! Knowing nothing about ornamental grasses I come to the experts for help. Are there any that have a really tropical look? It doesn't matter what size they get to as the area is very large. Sun, shade doesn't matter either. The only requirement is that it will grow in zone 5 and look maybe like a palm or something with big leaves. Any thoughts? Anyone? Thanks, Jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner in need of advice

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 18:10

Chasmanthium latifolium, AKA Northern Sea Oats, which looks a lot like Bamboo, comes to mind:

Arundo donax, Giant Reed also has a tropical look, and huge leaves:

There are also Bamboos, which are grasses, hardy in your zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here