Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast growing ornamental grass

Posted by lemurh 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 17:16

Hi everyone! I'm new and wanted to get your input and help. I haven't grown any ornamental grasses before (intentionally) but I was hoping to find one that I can use for a lawn border. I'd like to get one that is between 5-10' and it doesn't matter whether it is a perennial or annual. I am looking for the fastest grower I can find in its first season...

Any good suggestions? I saw ornamental sugar cane, miscanthus, and some others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast growing ornamental grass

I can think of ornamental grasses which grow more slowly than most, but none that grow more quickly.

I think if your goal is 5-10' in the first year, you'll have to start with mature plants. 10-15 gallon Miscanthus, and other plants which are able to reach those heights at maturity. I grow grasses in my nursery beds with the express intent of growing them to maturity, before transplanting them to display beds.

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 16:13

I understand you want to grow grass for height, but are you aware of/concerned with the width of each plant?
Many grasses grow quite wide.

Deb

o

I have plenty of lateral space for them to grow!

I have been poking around Miscanthus. We have a great growing season here, very warm, and probably starts mid april till mid october.

Any idea on how tall field divisions of Miscanthus will grow the first year? Assume no over watering, soggy soil, or other limiting factors. Thank you for the knowledge!

o

"Field division" is a term which does not give enough information to estimate the first season height of an ornamental grass. If it's the size of a 10-15 gallon plant, it will probably reach it's full potential size in 2 years. The act of dividing the plant will have an impact on first year growth rate, which would not be seen if you used a pot-established plant of the same size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here