Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pennisetum macrourum

Posted by scottyboipdx 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 18:05

Hi All!
Ever since visiting the Montreal Botanical Garden last fall, I've been searching for a source for the grass Pennisetum macrourum (African Feathergrass)...below is an image I took at the garden:

IMG_9651
I finally found a seed source online, but after researching a bit more, it looks like it's only hardy to zone 9...and in those zones is considered a noxious weed...does anyone have any experience growing it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pennisetum macrourum

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 7:19

I haven't grown it yet, but I love its look, and may give it a try. Heronswood lists it as zones 6-9, and Emerald Coast Growers as 7-10.

I've found listings for cultivars called 'White Lancer' and 'Tail Feathers.'

It doesn't seem to be generally available at on-line nurseries, but wholesalers Emerald Coast Growers and PerennialMarket list it, so it may start showing up soon.

o

Thanks Donn...I knew someone would know more than me! Maybe I'll take the risk and get those seeds after all and give them a try.

Thanks again!

o

Update: Bluestone Perennials lists this grass, and it's currently 50% off. I just ordered 6 of them at $3.75 each.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'White Lancer' at Bluestone

o

Thanks, Donn!
As luck would have it, I found some last fall at a local nursery that specializes in grasses, Wind Dancer Garden :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind Dancer Garden

o

I bought a bunch of grasses from Wind Dancer at the Hardy Plant Society sale the last two years. Nice ones. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here