Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Panicum Dallas Blues

Posted by kato_b z5 NEPa (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 11 at 21:53

I like this grass alot but was wondering about the seeds on it.... even though native switchgrass is common around here and seems to spread well, Dallas Blues never seems to have seeds that fill out properly. The seed heads look great but I don't think the seed is viable.

I guess it's a good thing as far as reseeding, but the birds probably lose out on the deal.

Oh. My actual question is -is it sterile or am I too far north for it's seed to mature before freezing?.... The Dallas part of it's name tipped me off to the too far north idea....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Panicum Dallas Blues

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 7:11

I think you're right..the seeds don't have time to ripen enough to be viable. If they did, I still doubt they would come true to the parent. I grow P.v.'Northwind' and P.a.'Dewey Blue' and both reseed(I have perfect conditions for Switchgrass), but neither come true. I get some interesting variations, but not the real thing in either case.

o
RE: Panicum Dallas Blues

I would be happy with some interesting variations!

For my garden I can get enough divisions off the main plant to fill my needs for clones(which is scheduled for the spring) but I was just wondering why the seed looks empty. I'm sure the birds would enjoy another place to peck around for a couple bites to eat, so fertile seed would be better. Interesting that your other cultivars self seed and you see some of the parent in the kids.

I'll have to take note this fall to see when the "dallas blues" bloom takes place and compare this to the other switchgrass. Maybe I can do some cross pollinating and get some good seed and some interesting results!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here