Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
id another grass please

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 2:07

I pulled these seeds which is in front of a shopping mall(outside). The grass height was around 30 to 40 inches tall.

What grass is it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id another grass please

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 9:26

It's some sort of Pennisetum. See 2nd picture: If you use your thumb and index fingernails and squeeze gently at the pointy end of the seed carrier, the seed will slide out the rear. You can just see the seed in the bottom carrier in that photo. Squeeze at exactly the point where the hairs connect.

o

YES! You are correct! The first few pods I picked had the thin dark brown thingie. I thought it was it. Then there is this one that was hard and not thin, rounded with a pointy end. Woohoo!

Thanks!

o

Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 11:58

Photobucket

The fatter the carrier, the greater the potential for a mature seed inside. A scrawny carrier will have an undeveloped seed, or nothing.

Photobucket

o

I would like to know how this ornamental grass looks like in summer. What should I search in http://images.google.com?

I'll post a pic later. :)

Thanks.

o

Here is the picture.

o

Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 16:23

Here are a raft of pics of various pennisetum pics:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%22fountain grass%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

It's difficult to say which yours is, from seeds and seed stalks alone. I don't think it's 'Moudry' ( the ones in my photos)because the seed stalks and carrier hairs would be much darker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here