Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Sweet flags without soil?

Posted by conanian Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 3:37

Gardening books usually say sweetflags (Acorus) should be grown in moist soil.

However, from the Asian sources I have read, it appears in the East the same plant is often grown (as a container plant) in pebbles in water, even the growth of the plant would be stunted.

So I was wondering if anybody here have experience of growing sweet flags in a basically soil-free environment, outdoors or indoors...?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Sweet flags without soil?

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 12:37

Acorus is not a grass, and you might get better answers in the Perennial Forum, Water Gardens and Bog Gardens.

That said, at least for Acorus gramineus, the answer is yes. I've grown it in submerged gravel, grit and even florist foam, both indoors and outdoors. I experienced no stunting of growth, but I used nutrients in solution in the water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here