Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carex comans Frosted Curls from seeds

Posted by mickey_dee2002 zone5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 7:33

I've got some seeds and was planning to try and grow this. Has anyone done this before and do you have any suggestions or tips as to the time to start and any special methods to use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carex comans Frosted Curls from seeds

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 7:41

I started 4 clumps of C. comans 'Bronze' last year. I used winter sowing techniques, and started them in April. Good germination, and they got to a foot tall the first season. Three of them are in the ground, and 1 is in a container.

o
checked notes

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 8:17

I used four 1-quart jugs, cut in half. I sowed each with 17-20 seeds and stuck them in the cold frame. They were sown on 4/21 and started germinating 5/16. They don't need cold stratification.

o
RE: Carex comans Frosted Curls from seeds

Thanks Donn.... I'll hold off a little until April and then sow them. Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here