pink crystal grass

sybilkrizinski
19 years ago

could anyone tell me about pink crystal grass? Is it

winter hardy in Michigan?

Comments (7)

• youreit
    19 years ago

According to the site below, sybil, Rhynchelytrum nerviglume 'Pink Crystals' is only hardy in zones 9-11, if that's the plant you're referring to. It looks nice while it's alive, though. :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby Grass

• sybilkrizinski
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks Brenda, not to much information on it and I already
    have it planted (in my head). thanks again, sybil

• jake
    19 years ago

I have had "Pink Crystal" planted in one of my beds at several different times and my luck here in Z4b-5 had not been very fruitful.

On a couple of occasions I have had 2-3 plants out of 9 plants come back the next year.

I agree with the "...it looks nice..." statement but the cost of buying new plants every year or the labor to winter store and replant isn't worth it for the buck and labor spent to have "Pink Crystal".

Jake

• deep___roots
    19 years ago

Move to CA. This is my favorite grass. A real stunner throughout several seasons of the year.

• mudyfoot
    19 years ago

I'm in zone 7/8 I have problems keeping it around every year. I divide it and have to put it into several places in my garden each year to ensure something makes it through the next winter. But the ones that survive are beautiful.
    Luckily I can collect seed from it every spring too. It blooms like crazy for me, but dosen't seem to reseed itself without help.
    mudyfoot

• AgastacheMan
    19 years ago

Just to add some things. Rhynchelytrum does ok for me, but this grass is often short lived. Mine will reseed if I let it, but once awhile we get the deep freeze and it will be cut down and composted....Seed starting is easy, and the funny thing is that this grass in some states that have micro-climates or tropical zones, consider Ruby grasss an invasive weed!!!!! A pretty weed...lol

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    19 years ago

Hi Sybil,

If you're still following this, 'Pink Crystals' was selected by Colorado State University as one of their 1998 Plant Select plants. I was selling perennials at the time, and somewhat involved with the Plant Select Program, and always considered this to be one of their biggest duds--for this climate at least! It's an annual, and I have never seen it successfully bloom out here. Here is a link directly to the 'Pink Crystals' information on the CSU Plant Select site.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado State University Plant Select

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions