Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing purple fountain grass

Posted by jjbjr 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 11:19

I planted purple fountain grass in front of my house last year . We live in zone 6 so apparently a perrenial. I loved the way they looked aside from the fact that they flopped over every time it rained. I am thinking of replacing them this spring.I have been admiring a karl forester gass, at a house I occasionally drive by. Can someone tell me if there is a specific karl forester grass that will not spread too much and not grow too tall? (4ft to 5ft) would be great. I am attracted to the streamline character they posses and the classic look they give. I would greatly appreciate any advice from the well educated people I have admired on this forum THANKS MUCH jjbjr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing purple fountain grass

Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' is a great grass for zone 6 and would be a perennial grass for you, rather than the tender perennial, Pennisetum 'Rubrum' (purple fountain grass).

It would fit the height you want perfectly, doesn't self seed at all, and maintains a very controlled manageable clump. These are all reasons that made it a perennial plant of the year selection. They are a very erect, formal looking grass, but soft enough in plume to fit the casual garden. Works great as specimens or backdrops.

BTW, I never have much trouble with Pennisetum 'Rubrum' flopping if grown in full sun. It also grows out so quickly, that if weather makes it ratty in spring/summer, cut it back and let it flush out again.

Just cut my Rubrum and other grasses back this weekend. I'm waiting on the Rubrum before I replace, to see if it'll come through. I'm right on the edge of hardiness and it's almost a coin toss here winter to winter.

o
RE: replacing purple fountain grass

As usual all my questions answered. Thanks grass guy I am going to plant 3 or 4 karl foresters in the spring.I appreciate your expert advice and this wonderful forum.jjbjr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here