Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Grasses for Zone 5b ( possible for containers)

Posted by glaswegian 5b, Ont (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 11:25

Hi there,

I have seen the other lists on here about grasses in general, but what am looking for is a list of the GIANT kinds that would do well in zone 5b Canada.

Also .....would there be any of these giants that can be planted in containers?

Thx in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Grasses for Zone 5b ( possible for containers)

Hmmmm..... Wonder what you consider giants.
All the Miscanthus sinensis cultivars will do well for you in zone 5. Some of the bigger ones include Roland & Goliath
Miscanthus floridus (aka gigantius) should also do well for you - it is certainly one of the biggist grasses out there.
Saccharinum ravennae (aka Erianthus ravenae) is also quite tall however, not as vigorous in zone 5 as it it further south.
Arundo donax is another tall one that should do well for you.

Containers?? Well, aside from the considerations of the container surviving the winter .....
I have had luck with Miscanthus purpurescens, Calamagrostis brachytricha & Elymus arenarius overwintering in large half whiskey barrels. Unfortunately, none of these are giants ....
A.

o

How about Arundo (giant reed). I have grown it in zone 4 for over 15 years and it just gets bigger and taller each year! Just mulch it good in the Fall after cutting the canes off. Mine grows to at least 15-18 feet tall.

o

Thanks for the suggestions

o

Have you checked out the bluestem nursery in BC? Lots of different varieties.
flora2b

Here is a link that might be useful: bluestem nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here