Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Panicum questions

Posted by jbcarr 8 SC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 05 at 12:00

I had a large border area where I was considering "Cloud nine", and "Heavy metal" as background plants. How hard are these grasses to work with? Specifically I am avoiding pampas grass because of its razor edges and huge root ball. I have also seen comments on spread by seedlings. It will be more of an informal border, and grazed on by deer if they like the plant. From my understanding, deer leave most ornamental grasses alone. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Panicum questions

Deer have never touched most of my grasses, including the Panicum. All Panicum virgatum is easy to work with: low maintenance, pleasing to the touch, heart-stoppin when in flower. They mix well with many perennials, including the smaller forms of Buddleia davidii Nanho series. They are not difficult to divide and take to transplanting very well, as long as you follow general rules of thumb for dividing/transplanting warm-season grasses.

o

Panicum has done well for me and has been problem free. I've grown 'Heavy Metal' for years, and have recently added 'Dallas Blues' and 'North Wind', which are great grasses. The former is very blue and the latter stands up straight like Karl Foerster's feather reed grass. I have infomation on these grasses at my web page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panicum virgatum

o

YCunnington,
Is it P. 'Dallas Blues' that "stands up straight like Karl Foerster's feather reed grass", or P. 'North Wind'?
I grow P. 'Heavy Metal' and love it as well. It does flop here in the late fall, but I shear it and bring bouquets to all my dried flower-loving friends, and keep some for ourselves through the winter.
It's also the first grass to come up here, by the ocean, in the Spring. Can't wait till it does that this winter!
Best,
PP

o

'North Wind' is the one that stands up straight. I've got some nice pics of it that I've got to put up on my site this week.

Cheers, Yvonne

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here