Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple/red fountain grass

Posted by versatilegardener 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 12:21

I have 4 containers of Rubrum on my deck which were gorgeous last year. I cut them back - maybe too early. They are still brown altho it is almost March. How long should I wait to see if they will come back before buying new ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple/red fountain grass

I forgot to mention that we had an unusually cold wither this year - sometimes in the low to mid twenties at night. From what I'm reading her, maybe the cold killed it. But if I want to wait and see, when would new shoots normally begin to appear?

o

Pennisteum setaceum 'Rubrum' - purple fountain grass - is not hardy in zones below 9 or 10. It will experience dieback in temperatures much below 40F. It is considered an annual in all but the warmest areas of the country. You will need to replace them.

o

Hi versatilegardener,

I'm in zone 8b and have not cut my Pennisetum Rubrum back yet. I'm close to the coast, so temps are a bit better for me than even 20 minutes inland. I find that their survival is hit and miss here, but if I cut back early I almost guarantee them not surviving. If I leave purple fountain grasses up until new growth is flushing out at the base and then cut back, they often survive. Looks like they may be ok this year. Larger clumps down the street at our nearby Starbucks already have new growth coming up. They planted theirs 3 years ago and have not replaced them yet. We had temps here dipping down to 30 (even slightly below) this winter. Low 20's likely did the grasses in where you are. I've seen some neighbors bag theirs for protection, like they do with some of the lesser hardy palms in our area. That may help as well in future winters, but for now I bet you need to replant.

I also find that Pennisetum Rubrum that has survived a cold winter with borderline freezes will have a hardened off base and not as much nice fleshy growth that year. They'll push more aerials, get floppier, and just not look quite as nice. I guess it comes down to $ when deciding to replace them or not at that point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Fountain Grass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here