Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muhlenbergia reverchonii seeds?

Posted by barb_from_london 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 12:50

Hi, I was hoping someone on this forum may know of a seed source for Muhlenbergia reverchonii. It's a little known native grass only found in northern Texas and south Oklahoma, but apparently it's hardy to USDA 5. It resembles M. capillaris with the pink blooms, but seems it would be more reliably hardy in my area.
So it's a long shot, but if anyone knows of a seed source (I'm in Canada so the actual plant would be too expensive for me, don't want to pay for all the phytosanitary certificates) for this Texan native, or a lead on one, I'd really appreciate you sharing the information...
I seem to want to grow Mexican and Texan plants lately (I've got Salvia greggii, Salvia leucantha, Salvia microphylla, and Leucanthemum frutescens started), must be losing my mind due to prolonged winter conditions here!
I did find a company that sold it in plant form, and asked if they also sold seed, but they haven't replied so I'm guessing that's a negative. Here's the photo from the website.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muhlenbergia reverchonii seeds?

I checked all my seed sources and struck out (although I did learn it requires cold stratification in order to germinate).

Try posting on the Texas Gardening Forum and the main seed exchange. The seed is collected in November, so you have plenty of time to set up a deal with someone who grows it or knows where to find a stand.

Try contacting Scott and Lauren Ogden...website linked below. They originally introduced the plant.

Keep in mind, you may not be able to grow the 'Autumn Embers' cultivar from collected seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Driven Design

o

Barb I am wondering if you ever tried the M. capillaris and if it was hardy in the ground for you? I recently ordered seed so I will be experimenting with this grass as I read that it has been found growing naturally amongst the fallen rock debris on the American side of Niagara Falls. We are a bit colder than the Niagara region but still I think it's worth a try.

Mike

o

Thanks for the replies! It's funny, I'm just reading Plant Driven Design right now - wonderful book, very inspirational. I will try the Texas seed exchange, great idea.

Mike, I haven't tried M. capillaris yet but would like to if I could get some stock. I once ordered seed and for whatever reason got 0% germination, so I'm hoping it was just bad seed, not bad technique...hope yours germinates well. If you get lots maybe we could do a small trade - I started some Smithianthas from seed, are you still into gesneriads?

o

I'll let you know how the grasses and sedges go. Hopefully I will have enough to share.
Yes I am still into Gesnerids. I'll be going to the Convention in Toronto this year as well.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here