Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy in smaller pot sizes

Posted by profe warm 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 14:12

I am anxious to get rolling with the memorial garden for my deceased wife. I believe I know which varieties I like, and the layout, but I will need to plant smaller specimens in order to get the quantity to match my financial capabilities. Can anyone suggest a nursery (nurseries) that can accomodate the guy who wishes to plant smaller grasses?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy in smaller pot sizes

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 14:24

Bluestem sells Miscanthus clumps in 4" pots, and smaller plugs on many other grasses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem

o
and

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 14:27

Earthly Pursuits sells many varieties of grass in 4" and quart sizes. They're affiliated with Kurt Bluemel, a noted developer of grasses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthly Pursuits

o

I am glad to hear that you are proceeding with the memorial garden.

Donns referals are first-choice. Here are three more that might (partially, at least) meet your requirements.

1. Bluestone Perennials in Ohio (bluestoneperennials.com) sells a small collection of grasses in packs of three or in small pots. The packs measure 2 1⁄4" sq. x 3" deep and take about a year longer to reach mature sizes; the pots are 3 1⁄4" sq. x 5" deep (larger root ball).

2. The Prairie Nursery (prairienursery.com) also has limited collection that they sell in 3" pots that become cheaper in greater quantities. Wisconsin.

3. The Magic Garden (magicgardenplants.com) in upstate NY also carries a small collection, sold in 4" pots that perform very well in the garden. (They carry hard-to-find Achnatherum calamagrostis, plus more common grasses.)

o

Which grasses are you looking for, and how many of each? This sounds like a wonderful project. Was your wife a gardener? Polly

o

Great suggestions, one and all, and I am finding a few that I need. Polly, in particular I would like to find Miscanthus Morning Light in smaller pot sizes or plugs, Miscanthus Silberfeder, Little Blue Stem "The Blues", Mexican Feather Grass, various panicums, including "Dallas Blues," "Shenandoah," or "Squaw." That's a start! Substitutions could work.

o

Good suggestions on sources.

Bluestem, High Country Gardens, Eartly Pursuits are all retailers of ornamental grasses. Another to try would be Santa Rosa Gardens, they seem to have a very wide ornamental grass selection and a good reputation.

If you're getting into Panicums, I would highly recommend Panicum Dallas Blues, which you can find at Plant Delights or Santa Rosa Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas Blues

o

I do think that both High Country Gardens and Santa Rosa Gardens offer volume discounts.

profe, I hope you found the grass source that suited your needs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here