Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good source for grasses

Posted by shelly_walker 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 16:50

I am going to start landscaping new construction. I do not know alot about Ornamental Grasses. Where would be a good source to buy grasses and also a book or site that I could learn some knowledge about them. I haven't started beds yet but plan to in the next two weeks. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good source for grasses

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 17:23

The best books on Ornamental Grasses, their identification, selection, cultivation and care:

The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses, Rick Darke, Timber Press, ISBN 0881924644

The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses, John Greenlee, Rodale, ISBN 0875961002

Where to buy? Local nurseries are always good, because it saves freight.

What part of the country are you in?

o

Rick Darke's encyclopedia is certainly the best choice if you're interested in a comprehensive treatment of the ornamental grasses that are on the market today. I'd like to have a copy of Greenlee's book because it is often referred to, but it is out of print and I've never been able to obtain a copy (any suggestions?).
However, if you're interested in the different ways in which to use grasses in garden design, "Designing with Plants" by Oudolf and Kingsbury is the book to go for.
To appreciate the beauty of individual grasses, choose either Roger Grounds' "Grasses, choosing and using these ornamental plants in the garden" or Nancy Ondra's "Grasses, versatile partners for uncommon garden design".

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 26, 07 at 16:25

dutch...

Abebooks has 70 listings for used copies of the Greenlee book.

o

I'll cast a vote for Rick Darke's encyclopedia...outstanding pics! Great info!

Greenlee's book is also very nice to have, very informative, and I'd recommend a copy, but was a bit earlier and some changes have taken place (nomenclature and id of certain grasses).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here