Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjbjr_gw

cutting back grasses

jjbjr
16 years ago

My mother tells me her gardener says its best to cut ornamental grasses late feb early march. He does this every year and say's the grasses are full and beautiful (also zone 6). I had always heard, cut back grasses in early spring. I also heard, its a matter of asthetics. Its my first winter growing miscanthus silverfeather. They looked great in the summer and look great as a winter effect tell me what is best. THANK YOU jjbjr

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

It IS a matter of aesthetics as to timing - it can even be done in late fall into midwinter if the grasses become too messy or start to fall apart. I'm in a different zone but the recommendation here is late February/early March also. Of course this can be delayed - weather is often a factor on one's ability to get out and perform the task - but it is best to do it before the plant starts pushing new growth. It certainly doesn't hurt to do it earlier - the overwintering top growth really doesn't offer any advantage or additional cold hardiness to a well established grass.

FWIW, both John Greenlee and Rick Darke, authors of two of the most popular OG encyclopedias, recommend the late winter (late February/early March) time frame as well.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

jjbjr,

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I cut my grasses back this past weekend. I like to wait until I see new basal growth coming up, but if I have grasses that are weather beaten, I'll usually cut them back even earlier. But, that's really just my preference not a hard fast rule. Commercial landscapes here, cut back grasses several weeks before I did, concerned with debris and tidiness more than I am.

If your Miscanthus is still looking good and not creating debris and problems, you can leave it for another 4-8 weeks or so in zone 6, then cut back. If its appearance is such that you really need to clean it up, trim it back to about 18" above crown now and again 4-6" above crown when new growth is emerging.

Look for signs of new fresh growth emerging in late March or April (depending on your winter this year) to let you know it's time to cut back.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

Thought I'd also mention how many times I've been too busy to get to all the grasses and had to go back in May or even June and cut back to let them flush out all over again...never with any issues. In fact, I cut back grasses at nearly every time of year for a variety of reasons and have not seen any detrimental effects here in zone 8, of being too early or too late.

I know lots of folks in colder climates feel the grasses benefit from extra protection, which is why I mentioned a cleaning vs a hard cutback now, but I'd agree with gardengal in that it usually is not a big factor in winter survival.

Good luck with new grasses this spring!

• davida
    16 years ago

I just cut my Miscanthus Adagio back. The only problem I've had when I wait too late in the season to cut them back and new growth has started, is that sometimes I'll cut the ends of the leaves and the plant doesn't look as nice.

By the way, wrapping the leaves with a bungee cord keeps everything together when I trim, and makes it easy to clean up.

• wannadanc
    16 years ago

OMG, davida, how I wish I had read this posting before I spent the time trimming - bungee cord - a GREAT idea! Thank you!!!!!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions