Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any opinions on combinations?

Posted by mylubbock Austin, TX 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 05 at 23:26

I was looking at the High Country Gardens catalog and saw a combination of grasses that look lovely in a drawing. Has anyone got an opinion if they would look this nice in reality?

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/shop/prod.html?class=preplanned&page=3

It is the "color and textures" garden. I am considering something like that for the front of our house.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any opinions on combinations?

I definitely think they would look GREAT in your yard, mylubbock! I love High Country's catalog. If you do decide to order that collection, you have to let us know how it goes! I'm excited for you. :)

Brenda

o

• Posted by Jake z4b-5 NE (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 17:00

If there is one thing about ornamental grasses that I have learned the hard way is that any enriched soil may be a detriment to the quality of the grasses.

Enriched garden loam soil may not be the best for the grasses. Enriched or amended soils that produced vibrant perennials has caused our grasses to flop and become leggy in appearance.

I know others have said the same thing. Watering too much or too often can be as bad as the enriched garden soil. Be cautious when prepping your garden bed.

I do agree that the plant selections as chosen by Ms. Springer are a great combination of plant choices and placed properly the garden will be one show piece to admire through out the growing season and even during the winter months.

Me. Springer publishes a yearly calendar featuring photographs of Monets garden which located in Giverny France.

We have 5 or 6 years of these calendars and looking through them during the winter moths really takes the cold out of the snow lying on the ground outside.

Jake

o

Ditto Jake's remark about any prior soil "enrichment" or future fertilizing! If grown in the right zone, grasses are an easy asset to any garden. :)

Brenda

o

Hello mylubbock,
I can't say enough about the combo in September of Japanese Blood Grass (Imperata cylindrica var. koenigii 'Red Baron') and the bronzy, dark ruby, evergreen leaves of Evening Primrose (Oenothera). Just lovely!!!
Here's a photo to whet your appetite:

Best,
PP

o

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I do appreciate the feedback. I am very exicited, as I have a good sized area to work with. I feel a little uncreative buying them as a package - but I might mix up the perennials a little.

If I get it going, I will send some pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here