Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brizia media (rattlesnake grass)

Posted by LauraOP 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 05 at 4:29

I would like to know what is the difference between the looks of Brizia media & maxima. I know Maxima is the annual and brizia media is the perenial type.
The reason I ask is last year I got the maxima seed, planted them and up came the grass. We had a unusually cold & dry winter here and I think the plant is dead. I was going to purchase more seeds, but then found out there was a perenial version.
My thinking is if the perenial version is just as appealing as the annual, I will just get perrenial seeds so I don't have to replant every year.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brizia media (rattlesnake grass)

Oh, definitely try the B. media. Good for cutting. Attractive. Good groundcover for a variety of soils and conditions. Great in groups, sweeps or masses.

o

Your Briza maxima is dead now because it is an annual.
The maxima can grow 2-3 ft tall and has large fingernail sized flower heads that I personally think look like tan colored roaches or some kind of bug. < laughing > This one is called rattlesnake grass.
The Briza media is a perennial growing to 18 to 24 inches tall and is called quaking grass. It has lots of little balls for flower heads that shake ( or quake) in the breeze. As Brumeta says I too prefer the media.
Briza minor is also an annual and grows to only 6-12 inches.
It has little balls for flowers like the media does and is called little quaking grass.

o

• Posted by Junco Augusta, GA z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 17:31

What kind of light and soil does the Brizia media grow best in? I just bought a 4 in pot at a wholesale nursery that was having an "open to the public" day. I've never seen it before and they couldn't tell me anything about it.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here