Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beehappy_gardener

I have questions- please someone?????

beehappy_gardener
18 years ago

Good morning to ya'll! I am a long time gardener, around 30 years or so, but I have never grown ornamental grasses so I am in need of some advice.They sound easy enough but I would rather get some info from all of you who have grown these. First of all, have you grown them from seed? I am watching some seeds now at ebay but don't want to bid until I hear from you guys.Are they easy to grow from seed or am I better off buying plants? Are they like any other perennial to start from seed? Once they are planted, if I were to decide to move them, are the difficult to move? What sort of special care do they require? If I start them from seed, should I start them in say a gallon container to begin with or start out with something smaller and transplant up from there? Any help and advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)

• donn_
    18 years ago

Hi bee...I grow ornamental grasses from seed. In the past 2 years, using winter sowing techniques, I grew these:

Anthoxanthum odoratum.. Sweet Vernal Grass
    Briza maxima.. Annual Quaking Grass
    Briza media.. Quaking Grass
    Carex grayi.. Gray's Sedge
    Carex muskingumensis.. Palm Sedge
    Chasmanthium latifolium.. Northern Sea Oats
    Cortaderia selloana.. Pampas Grass
    Deschampsia cespitosa.. Tufted Hairgrass
    Eragrostis spectabilis.. Purple Love Grass
    Festuca gigantea.. Giant Fescue
    Festuca glauca.. Blue Fescue
    Festuca mairei.. Maire's Fescue
    Festuca scoparia.. syn. Festuca gautieri Bearskin Fescue
    Hystrix patula.. Bottlebrush Grass
    Lagurus ovatus.. Bunny Tails - Annual
    Luzula nivea.. Snowy Woodrush
    Luzula sylvatica.. Greater Woodrush
    Miscanthus sinensis.. 'New Hybrids' Maiden Grass, Eulalia Grass..
    Nassella tenuissima.. Mexican Feather Grass
    Panicum virgatum.. Switch Grass
    Pennisetum alopecuroides.. Fountain Grass
    Pennisetum alopecuroides.. 'Moudry' Black Seeded Fountain Grass
    Sesleria caerulea.. Blue Moor Grass
    Setaria faberi.. Giant Foxtail - Annual
    Stipa capillata.. Feather Grass
    Tridens flavus.. Purple Top

Most of them were started as small clumps, using anywhere up to a dozen seeds in a 1.5" square, 3" deep paper plant band. A few were grown in larger containers, up to 1/2 gallon OJ cartons. This year, I'm growing larger clumps, using 3" and 4" square plant bands, and cut-off 1-gallon water jugs.

Most species grasses are very easy to grow from seed. The problems are variegated and unusually colored named cultivars. Frequently, they won't come true from seed. I suggest you list the seeds you're considering, and let us comment.

It's very simple to transplant and divide most ornamental grasses. The techniques are identical to any clumping perennial

The require very little care. They are generally not picky about soil quality, and, once established, tend to be very drought tolerant. Maintenance seldom involves more than an annual haircut, at about this time of year, for deciduous varieties, and less frequent trimming for evergreens. In your zone, you'll have very little problem with invasiveness and self-seeding, due to your shorter growing season.

My best advice for growing them from seed is to sow them on the surface, just patted into contact with moist soil. Cool season grasses like Festuca will germinate in cooler conditions than warm season grasses like Miscanthus and Pennisetum.

• deep_roots
    18 years ago

Donn you have excellent patience and seemingly have mastered the satisfaction of growing ornamental grass from seed. I would agree that growing grass from seed is very possible. I have started ornamental grass from seed on a warming mat in a seed tray, not without frustrations. One year when sitting seedling grass outdoors to harden them off, the birds pulled out the shoots to build their nests in the Spring. (serious)

Additionally, i have started different size containers from small plugs of grass up to large burlap wrapped clumps. And while I've purchased a 4" pot of Ravennae grass 10 years ago that became 5 large stands of grass, I prefer to buy larger pots of grass. Beehappy_gardner, I would encourage you to plant some larger pots of ornamental grass for some quick bang for the buck. However, like Donn, I would suggest going for the thrill of growing some grasses from seed. The ones from seed will be much more meaningful.

• donn_
    18 years ago

Deep...I believe it about the birds. They do a pretty good job of cleaning dead foliage and bloom stalks out of mine, for the same architectural purposes.

Sponsored
More Discussions