Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arylkin

suggestion for very tall grass from seed for a screen

arylkin
10 years ago

I'm looking for a tall ornamental grass for a screen that I can grow by seed. I'd like it to be drought tolerant, although most things I read say almost grasses are drought tolerant once established- would that mean their second year?

I've been looking at Miscanthus Sinensis and Saccharum ravennae, although I'm definitely open to others. I know grasses that are propagated by seed can spread, but the area I'm planning on doing it in is large and the edge is regularly mowed, which I thought would keep new possible seedlings in check. Hopefully?

Ideally, I'd like a grass that's 5-6 feet tall not including the flower heads, though I don't know if that's realistic. I've even looked up some hardy bamboo which sounds like it would be fantastic, but anywhere online is really expensive even for a small amount so I think that idea is out.

I need something to grow from seed because I have a large area to cover and buying a ton of plants isn't in the budget.

For people who've grown these or other ornamental grasses from seed, how much growth should I expect the first year? I know perennials need time to be established, though I'm going to be kind of sad if I plant a ton of seedlings and they only grow 12" in the first year. Maybe that's just the way it is though.

I'm mostly wanting the screen from fall to spring, so I thought ornamental grasses may be a good choice.

I appreciate any advice! :)

:

Here is a link that might be useful: These are the seeds I was looking at.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions