Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to sow?

Posted by zucchini 5a ONT (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 05 at 10:23

My husband picked some ornamental grass in winter, from outside a building in Toronto...He would like to plant the seeds so we can have it grow here in zone 5a..Do you start the seeds indoors in soiless mix like other seeds? Do they need light? dark? Do you just sow outside now? after frost? any info would help..thanks Martha / zucchini

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to sow?

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 17:59

Martha,

1. Surface sow the seeds. I don't know what kind of grass you have seed for, but most of them require light for germination.

2. I'd winter sow them, that is, make little greenhouses out of recycled containers like milk jugs, fill them with ~4" of good premium potting soil, thoroughly soaked, and sprinkle the seeds on top. Pat them down to ensure contact with the soil. Then just stick the jugs outside.

Full instructions on winter sowing can be found in the FAQ at the Winter Sowing Forum, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing FAQ

o

• Posted by Eakr MD6b/7a (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 8:57

There is a good chance that your ornamental grass seeds may be sterile, e.g., will not germinate. I would do a small test experiment 1st to see if the seeds are viable. Plant some of the grass seeds in a small pot or flat, in potting soil, which is sterile and contains no weed seeds. If you use regular soil, the weed seed which sprout may mask any grass seed germination you get, assuming you get the grass seeds to germinate. Give the grass seeds up to 3 weeks time to germinate before determining success or failure. Ed

o

thanks for the tips...will try the surface sowing...in a homemade mini greenhouse...and put it in the sun for a few days...may do half outside to see the difference...either way that will tell us if the seeds are viable...thanks
Martha/zucchini

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here