Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back our unknown pampas grass

Posted by kisk 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 10:50

We planted this grass last spring and it did pretty amazing as far as growth. Kept it watered and fertilized all of the warm months and it went from from about 1ft to now around 4-5ft. Not sure of the exact name as the tag is buried in the grass, but it was just something we picked up from lowes or home depot. Only had 1 plume, which of course the kids pulled out during the winter :\

It barely browned during the winter which I was surprised about -- just a few scattered brown blades and tips. It does however look a little "shaggy" which is why I would like to start fresh.

I would like to cut it back but not sure of the height I should leave it when done. Also, can we expect additional plumes this year? Not sure how that works. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back our unknown pampas grass

If that's a current photo, it looks like it's doing quite well already. If you cut the whole thing back, you'll be removing a good bit of new growth.

I'd probably just selectively trim out the dead foliage...down to about 6" or so.

If you want to cut it all back, 6" is a good height, and now is the time to do it.

o

Donn .... any guesses as to what it is??

I aggree with Donn as to trimming - With so much lovely new growth it would be a shame to wack it all off.

A handy dandy tool to tidy up the brown edges is a bread knife. I buy plastic handled ones just for use in the garden.

o

Considering the zone and the fine foliage, I'd guess C.s. 'Pumila.'

o

Duh ..... that will teach me to read the 'Subject'

Looking at the pic I had thought it was a Pampas grass but wasn't sure.

Kisk, if you use my suggestion of a bread knife, you should also consider wearing a good pair of gloves - the leaf blades on Pampas grass are notoriously SHARP.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here