Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stepa 'ponytails' pruning question

Posted by Dianita z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 11:22

Hi!

Does anyone know when's the right time to cut back stepa, and how far? It looks like it never died back all the way - it's got some green at the base.

I'd hate to cut it too late and massacre the new foliage, but I don't even know if maybe stepas just renew their old foliage in the spring!

Thanks!
Diana (total-OG-newbie)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stepa 'ponytails' pruning question

I wondered the same about my plant, so I just asked a friend of mine, who is an expert. He said to give it a light trim, cutting off about one third of the length of the leaves.

o
RE: stepa 'ponytails' pruning question

I cut mine back to an inch or two above ground and it shoots out fresh new foliage....even if you cut some of the new blades, it wouldn't be hardly noticable to the naked eye. If you don't cut it back hard, you'll have a blended green and brown clump all year. Good luck =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here