Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone Denial for Cortaderia 'Pumila'......

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 12:07

Is there anyone out there growing this grass in zone 5? We live in central Illinois. There is a woman that grows it in a protected corner of her house. I just have to have this one and wondering who has success in zone 5???
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone Denial for Cortaderia 'Pumila'......

We have one known clump that has survived in our county. It is located in town, close to the warm South wall of a busy pizza restaurant out of harsh winds. It only grows 3' to 4' including plumes. Note though that we have had unusually warm winters recently. Also, out in the country, I can not keep it alive. Even a local nursery who offered it for retail out of their fields has discontinued sales. Unless you are willing to provide special unnatural conditions, you are up for a challenge. Remember to verify that you get Pumilla and not some of the more temperature sensitive Cortaderia.

o
RE: Zone Denial for Cortaderia 'Pumila'......

It's not Pumila but it's zone denial for Cortaderia. :) I bought pink pampas seeds on ebay in 2004. Over-wintered it in a shed it's first winter and left it in the ground it's second. Uncovered it March 27th and since then I've found a new shoot (that must have been coming up when it was covered-- it was about 3inches high and almost white when I found it) and two of the old cut ones are greening. Our lowest temp last winter was -5 but there were also nights of -4 and -1. I hope it'll be strong enough to plume this year and isn't just barely holding on. ---If it plumes it'll be for the first time. I'm crossing my fingers!!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here