Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragnfly8d8

Ornamental grasses

dragnfly8d8
16 years ago

I would like to know if there is a grass that will get 4 feet and higher that will take alot about 80% shade.

I am trying to make a tropical scene and most important block out my neighbor.

I cannot put in a fence or do much digging as the ground has alot of roots so I will need to go with large container gardening.

I live in zone 5 and get feet of snow in the winter.

Please help..

Comments (7)

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

It's a bit shorter than you mentioned, but Chasmanthium latifolium Northern Sea Oats would fit the situation quite well.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

Chasmanthium latifolium is a lovely grass, but it won't block anything--much too short. There are no tall grasses that will do well in that much shade.

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

'Karl Foerster' and Korean feather reed grasses will tolerate shade, but do best in more sun. They're not great for screening, but will soften the edges of taller perennials that might do the trick, esp combined with shrubs.

OT are you going to try cannas? They need lots of heat to take off, and you'll have to dig and store them for the winter, or just cut them down and take them in if left in pots. I would consider them invaluable for creating a tropical screen.

• wally2007
    16 years ago

Last Fall I attempted to split a Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis) which was starting to get a little too large, roughly 15" in diameter. I moved one part of it to another part of the yard with sufficient sun. I took the smaller of the 3 split portions and put it in a shrub or tree pot. I can see some new growth on the two portions which are in the ground, however the one in the pot hasn't shown any growth. I left the pot outside for the winter. Is that the reason why I don't see any growth?? Also what is recommended for feeding ornamental grasses??

• chaigal
    16 years ago

Hi, I planted about 12 Maiden Grass last spring and they grew a bit and then flowered and turned bronze in the fall/winter. I cut them back about two weeks ago but am seeing no new growth. I am expecting too much too soon? Also planted a few hostas last year for the first time, when can I expect to see growth there??

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• anna_beth
    16 years ago

chaigal, I am in zone 6 and have no growth on my maiden grasses either. They are a bit slow to emerge, be patient.

wally2007, I leave several grasses, including maiden grass, in small containers outside for the winter and they do not die. But definitely their situation is drier than if they were in the ground so perhaps this is the reason why your potted maiden grass is not yet emerging?

• willowmist
    16 years ago

Wally2007 - "Maiden Grass" as a nickname is used rather loosely, and sometimes incorrectly, so there are more than one variety that you might have. I think the odds are that your potted division succumbed to the cold. Depending on the Miscanthus variety and the wind chills in any given winter, your potted grasses may or may not make it. The safest thing is to pop them into the ground in late fall, or at least park the pots someplace where they're sheltered from northwest winds and get sun during the winter. (Usually some nook or cranny on the south or southeast side of your house, garage, or a solid fence.)

Most grasses shouldn't be "fed." It tends to make the stems floppy and reduces flowering.

Sponsored
More Discussions