Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Instructions for Cutting Back Miscanthus Adagio

Posted by richardcharles z10/Malibu (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 13:35

I am new to deciduous ornamental grasses. What is the proper technique for cutting back Miscanthus Adagio? When, how low, what shape, etc.
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Instructions for Cutting Back Miscanthus Adagio

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 13:39

Now, although in your zone, even earlier would have been better.

3-6" from the crown, and it can be flat-topped or slightly bowled, your choice.

o

Thanks for the quick reply Donn. One other question, must they be cut back?

o
Well...

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 13:54

It really depends. If it's a first year plant, you could just trim off dead foliage, and the new leaves will eventually hide the old. As the plant ages, and gets bigger and taller, that becomes more problematic.

How tall is it, and how does last year's foliage look now?

Keep in mind, I'm talking from 3 zones colder than you. I cut my Miscanthus back 2 weeks ago, and they looked awful after a mild winter.

o

The Adagio is 2'tall x 3'6"wide. Though when standing back the overall effect is a straw color under closer inspection about 10% of the leaves are a new beautiful green. This was the plants first winter and it was planted in my garden around June of last year.

o

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 15:06

I'd probably bite the bullet, and cut it back.

o

rc,
two thoughts
take your time and cut out the dead shoots ~ good pass-time if you're into zen.
or
just cut your grass back to a height just above the new growth. really cutting back is just for 'garden tidiness' and your grass will soon overgrow and hide all the old stems.

It would be a shame to cut into the new growth if it wasn't needed & lots of grassophiles only cut back to a foot or two. I have often thought to try a 'taller cut-back' to see if it would provide a natural staking effect ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here