Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Imperata Red Baron vs P Hanse Herms vs Shenandoah

Posted by rubrifolia 7ish NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 14:11

for low-ish good red color? Am envisioning a line of broody 'red' to weave in front of several Dallas Blues.

Does Imperata do well here in the Northeast? Seem to remember some not coloring well??? Is it reliably perenn?

which of the Panicums color better? would the layering of 2 Panicums be a tad boring early on??? Not that Dallas is ever boring in my opinion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Imperata Red Baron vs P Hanse Herms vs Shenandoah

I planted a beautiful Dallas Blues in my yard last spring
and it grew to 5ft. and was a nice blue color, tall erect but when the purple
plumes came up WOW! I have decided to use penicum Shenandoah grass that turns reddish to wine red over the summer. I'm going to plant them along the side yard in front of the dallas blues(I want to plant several of these also), hopefully they'll
look nice in a tight line and I wanted to plant other miscanthus and large ravane grass in there towards the rear of all this. I have a big
New Dawn rose in here as well(over an arbor, I will also add Pen Red Rubum variety grass along with some annuals to tight it all
in. just need to find somethings to go with all the wine
cream and pinkish colors for perenials and other annuals.
I love the small blue elymus magellanicus grass, really ice blue color(never seen anything quite this color)
it goes with so many of the larger wine color grass. Any
ideas??

o

For blue, try Festuca g. Meerblau or Blauglut, or a metal shade of Panicum v Heavy Metal for some structure towards the Dallas Blues Panicum. Color can range from hot tones of the Agastache family(of course) including Globetrotter, Ava, Firebird, rupestris, and maybe try some Coreopsis Moonbeam or the newer hybrids like Limerock Ruby or Limerock Passion...Or a Daylily or some Asiatic Lilies for some bigger petal look.

o

I have a couple of shenandoah and I'm not impressed. It's a very late riser and the blades aren't really that red. They're mostly green with a little red.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here