Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weezee_gw

ornamental grass for privacy screen

weezee
16 years ago

I need a recommendation for a tall ornamental grass to be used as a privacy screen. I live on a canal in Babylon, NY. Grass will be exposed to full sun.

Comments (7)

• xpress5
    16 years ago

Miscanthus floridulus grows 8-12 ft tall. Google search this for pictures.

Also recommend Spartina pectinata!
    I am sure that you have seen this grass. It will fill in nicely. It grows 6-8 ft and will give a prairie look with good coverage. New York state uses it on highways, often. It would be best to check with a Cornell Cooperative Extension or other community plant growth agency about this grass in your area.

http://www.mowildflowers.net/

Spartina pectinata (prairie cordgrass, freshwater cordgrass) SPARTINA
    An adaptable species found in freshwater swamps, salt marshes and wet praries. All have slender infloresecnces which are good for drying. They prefer damp soil, even growing in shallow water at the edge of a pond, otherwise they are undemanding, growing in a variety of soils and pH levels. Thrive in full sun and will quickly colonize the pond bank. Good for naturalizing in semi-wild gardens.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

Not trying to talk you out of using grasses, but remember that they will be cut back in late winter/early spring and start from ground level again. Many will not push plumes until late summer, fall.

If you want a solid screen year-round, this may not be your choice.

If you're ok with a perennial grass that goes dormant in winter, then I'd also recommend using Miscanthus, Erianthus, Cortaderia (check zone, you're borderline, and panicum as some possible choices.

• weezee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the valuable information, Which of the recommended grass are the quickest to grow back? If grasses are cut down in early spring how long before grow back?

• xpress5
    16 years ago

I live in upstate, ny but I have aging parents on long island. I maintain their gardens by visiting every 3-4 weeks. The grasses start growing very late May and reach mature height in mid August (in your area). The grass looks presentable while growing, but you will not get the tallest plant until August. You will have the height until April if you leave the brown growth in place over the winter. They will stand up fairly well, even under snow in my area.

Miscanthus Floridulus gets to the 12 ft height in my area after growing late June to August. Spartina pectinata is pretty carefree, which is why ny state plants it. I am sure that it grows on the side of the Long island expressway, and in other marsh areas along roadsides, if you look for it. Tall brown grass, now in March, with about a 6-8 inch plume on top. Does well in wet marsh areas and gets at least 6-8 ft with no care.

Make sure you check plant names and height when shopping. There is a lot of variation in grass height with grasses that look alike, but are different varieties and species.

• weezee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for all the helpful information. Where can I purchase Miscanthus floridulus or Spartina pectinata? How many plants do I need to build a 60 foot screen? What size should they be when I buy them?

• csb1
    16 years ago

Cortaderia will stay green all year and can become quite large

• wodka
    15 years ago

We just purchased a new home that faces the golf course. Last weekend I purchased two Cortaderia selloana, thinking we'd put one at each side of the backyard.

After reading your posts, I'm a little concerned about the "critters" remarks. Of course, we already have critters since the "rough" is also near our back yard. Just this week I've seen rabbits, a black snake, and yesterday, yeck - a field mouse. (Hopefully, the snake caught up with him!) We won't be planting them directly against our house. Fine with me if the critters just stay in the OG, but don't want them coming into my house....any cause for concern or am I being paranoid?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions