Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_toronto

black mondo grass substitute

mary-in-toronto
17 years ago

I like the look of black mondo grass, but I've been told that it is not very hardy/risky in my zone (6A). Is there something comparable that would look good against skyrocket junipers? I am not that fond of fescue. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Comments (11)

• donn_
    17 years ago

I can't think of any ornamental grass which is black like Black Mondo (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'). There are blues and grays and blue/grays and green/grays, but no blacks I know of. There are very dark purple grasses, but they would be annuals for you, as Black Mondo may be. There are also some very darkly colored non-grass perennials, like Huechera and Helleborus.

• mary-in-toronto
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the great idea! I think I will try huechera, such a selection to choose from! And, I hope will give me the contemporary look I'm going for.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

Some of the Ajugas can be that very dark color, and some may be not too vigorous where they try to take over everything. I have Black Mondo Grass and it is not very vigorous, easily overrun by weeds.

• blackswamp_girl
    17 years ago

Mary, I almost hesitate to say this... but I am also in Zone 6a (suburb of Cleveland, OH) and my black mondo grass overwintered this year. The thing is, when it finally did get brutally cold, we had a nice, thick insulating layer of snow over the entire garden for the rest of the winter. So I'm not sure whether I was just lucky because of the snowcover or whether I will be able to overwinter it in subsequent years as well.

• blacky1
    17 years ago

I'm also in the Toronto area and have grow Black Mondo grass for 4 years now and had to transplant it too. It is not a fast grower or spreader in my garden but looks good this year. They stay flat black over the winter and I don't trim at all.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

One question, one comment ...
    Toronto in zone 6a??? Are you using the canadian zone map??
    and re: black mondo grass
    It does overwinter for me in S.W. Ontario (USDA zone 5) but, I wouldn't think that it would make a very good contrast against your junipers. Yes, the colour is good. But the plant is VERY short & rather insignificant in most garden situations.
    I would love to hear about some really good uses for it.
    I have moved mine several times - it always seemed invisible against the garden soil.
    Finally I think I have found the perfect spot!

• skyfyre_nycap_rr_com
    17 years ago

Achnatherum is right -- the black mondo grass is hardy in zone 5. It overwinters well, and can be divided and transplanted with no problems. The black mondo grass probably survives because it stays so close to the ground here. It does not seem to go completely dormant during the winter. It keeps its dark color -- very dark purple that looks black.

I purchased mine from someone in a USDA Zone 4 and it seemed to be ok there too.

BUT, and I hate to say it, it stays very small. So small that it is barely noticeable unless you're close to it and looking down on it. Mine tends to hug the ground, with the blades lying against the ground. It does not want to grow upright.

You could try it in pots and, every spring, take the pots outside and strategically place the pots of mondo grass where it will make an impact. After the first hard frost you could store the pots of grass in an unheated garage. This *might* give you more mileage.

Putting it in pots and providing a kinder, gentler winter may give you more growth -- I don't know -- but if you really, really want to use it the way it appears in pictures, it's something to consider. Also, you could bring the pots inside in March or April to get it growing sooner and see if that helps.

I've had my black mondo grass for a good 4 or 5 years, so it has had a good opportunity to prove itself and do something. It hasn't. I'm trying one more experiment with it this year and, if it refuses to show its stuff, I'll give it away.

Cheers!

• donn_
    17 years ago

Lionheart..holler if you decide to get rid of it. I'll trade you another grass for it.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Hi Donn,

Sent you an email. The grass plants are yours if you want them. Just drop me a line with your address and I'll get them out to you next week.

Cheers!

Deb

• donn_
    16 years ago

Hi Deb...I didn't get an email, but I sent you one via GW.

• devralangford_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Has anyone grown black mondo in texas? I'm interested in covering a large area with it (about 140 square feet).

Sponsored
More Discussions