Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to me Hakonechloa question

Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 14:39

Last Fall I purchased some Hakonechloa macra Golden Japanese forest grass. I left it in it's pot, trimmed the pot rim to potted dirt level and put it (pot and all) in a new garden at ground level.

The main reason I did not plant was because of the new garden settling. Also, I have other plants to put into that garden this Spring and wanted to plant everything at one time.

I left the grassy part on it, as an attempt at winter protection. I have trimmed my other ornamental grasses about a week ago and am wondering if I should trim this grass off now too. As of yet, it has not put out any new shoots.

Any thoughts?
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to me Hakonechloa question

Sure, you can cut it back now. Actually IME, hakone grass cleans up remarkably easy just by raking off last season's dead stems.....no cutting required. And since this is a warm season grass, it is a bit too early to see much sign of new growth.

o
RE: new to me Hakonechloa question

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 14:07

Good to know, thanks for the info!
:-)
Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here